• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1891 d cam quarter dollar

36 posts in this topic

Could you please educate me on why it is a counterfeit? That way I could save money by not sending it in.

I think the fact that your coin has polished fields would be a good clue that it is a replica.

8 hours ago, Ratzie33 said:

Could you please educate me on why it is a counterfeit? That way I could save money by not sending it in.

I'm sorry, but first of all, because it's you posting it. You don't exactly have a stellar track record on here. Second, it looks like it's fresh out of a "private mint". In my observation, 130 year old silver just doesn't look like that. Third, I don't care how shiny and flashy it is. Post clear, focused, cropped images straight above the coin instead of all these bouncy videos. We get it, it's shiny. The date doesn't look right, but who can tell? Lastly, tell us where/how you got it and how much you paid. Those are important clues. Are those in-car photos of you driving home from some craigslist hookup, or a reputable dealer? It helps to know that.

I agree. Silver that old shouldn't look like it came out of 2020 proof set. Coins with that kind of luster sitting for 130 years have toning 9/10 times. The details on the coin do not seem to be there. A weak strike for US proof? I don't think so. In terms of showing its authenticity, weight doesn't do too much, silver is cheap and a different metal can be used if no in the exact specifications thickness and diameter wise. 

The weight you have on your scale wouldn't even make sense, as your scale should have rounded up to 6.3 grams being it was minted after '73.

Edited by Big Nub numismatics

17 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I'm sorry, but first of all, because it's you posting it. You don't exactly have a stellar track record on here. Second, it looks like it's fresh out of a "private mint". In my observation, 130 year old silver just doesn't look like that. Third, I don't care how shiny and flashy it is. Post clear, focused, cropped images straight above the coin instead of all these bouncy videos. We get it, it's shiny. The date doesn't look right, but who can tell? Lastly, tell us where/how you got it and how much you paid. Those are important clues. Are those in-car photos of you driving home from some craigslist hookup, or a reputable dealer? It helps to know that.

eBay.. $610...  just a guess... :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1891-P-SEATED-LIBERTY-PROOF-MOST-UNBELIEVABLE-DCAM-PR-EVER-HIGH-NR-17196-/392858940823

But if I had paid that much, I'd 100% get it graded... right now... like yesterday... since there's a non-zero chance it'll come back as fake.. then at least you can go back to the seller to get your money back... seriously... get it graded... otherwise that guy is laughing all the way to the bank.. 

If it's real and grades high, that'll be a hell of a score... 

Edited by Thompson2

8 minutes ago, kbbpll said:
8 hours ago, Ratzie33 said:

Could you please educate me on why it is a counterfeit? ...

I'm sorry, but first of all, because it's you posting it.

Yes, this is my immediate "go to" position also.

3 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

eBay.. $610...  just a guess... :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1891-P-SEATED-LIBERTY-PROOF-MOST-UNBELIEVABLE-DCAM-PR-EVER-HIGH-NR-17196-/392858940823

But if I had paid that much, I'd 100% get it graded... right now... like yesterday... since there's a non-zero chance it'll come back as fake.. then at least you can go back to the seller to get your money back... seriously... get it graded... otherwise that guy is laughing all the way to the bank.. 

If it's real and grades high, that'll be a hell of a score... 

Good digging.  I'm sure eBay would not side with the seller in this case but this is an awfully Red Flag type of policy to have in your listing.

WE OFFER A GENEROUS 30 DAY RETURN POLICY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO SEND AN ITEM TO A THIRD PARTY GRADING SERVICE YOU FORFEIT THE RIGHT TO RETURN THE ITEM FOR A REFUND. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH OUR POLICY PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ANY BIDS ON OUR ITEMS!

4 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Good digging.  I'm sure eBay would not side with the seller in this case but this is an awfully Red Flag type of policy to have in your listing.

WE OFFER A GENEROUS 30 DAY RETURN POLICY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO SEND AN ITEM TO A THIRD PARTY GRADING SERVICE YOU FORFEIT THE RIGHT TO RETURN THE ITEM FOR A REFUND. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH OUR POLICY PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ANY BIDS ON OUR ITEMS!

HOLY LOAD OF COW DUNG!  Would never have bought anything unslabbed from them... although I wonder if eBay would hold them to the "guaranteed authentic" in the listing... seems like you could force the issue... but I don't have that kind of cash to gamble with... 

4 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Lol. My thing is how many five-star reviews the seller has.

Looks like they sell a lot of slabbed coins, so it's easy to get good reviews... 

16 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Lol. My thing is how many five-star reviews the seller has.

Now to really hijack this thread and focus more on the seller.  I sell on eBay, others here as well, but I don't juice up images or make claims about the coins I list.  I don't need that type of stress in my life.

But based on this thread on coin community from September 2019 he had 6,279 positive reviews/stars.  So in less than a year he's received positive rating on an additional 6,302 items (currently sits at 12,581 stars).  Where he has 46 pages of "As a Buyer feedback" there's 1,099 "As a Seller".

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=354987

There's items in his shop I'd buy but most I'd scroll right past.  I can't knock him too bad.  He's obviously putting in the work.  And is it really his fault a fool and his money are soon parted?

17 hours ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

The weight you have on your scale wouldn't even make sense, as your scale should have rounded up to 6.3 grams being it was minted after '73.

The weight does make sense.  Spec is 6.25 and if it was right on spec it would round to 6.3, but the tolerance range was +/- .097 grams so it could weigh as low as 6.153 grams so even at the low end of tolerance it would round on the scale to 6,2.  ANYTHING less then the exact spec weight, and within tolerance, would show as 6.2 grams.

Edited by Conder101

I think dipped is a foregone conclusion. It has at the very minimum been dipped.

On the other hand, that infamous Chinese site does offer 1891 quarter fakes, just not in proof or prooflike look. Maybe somebody got one and tested their polishing skills?

OTOH, it might just be a hamfisted dip job. Two ways to tell - 1) decent pictures, or 2) send it in. It the coin is real, the grading fee would be inconsequential compared to what he paid for the coin, so his reluctance on cost of grading tells me "bad things".

Edited by VKurtB