• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you grade this? 1887-S $10/1926 $2.5

7 posts in this topic

Being the only incuse coin design in the United States, the Gold Indian head design is the hardest to grade of all series, as well as the hardest to tell if it's actually real or fake. Any of us, regardless of how experienced, will likely not be able to give an accurate grade for it, but from the pictures it looks like an excellent piece.

The ten dollar piece shows some wear, although not extreme, and discoloration, as well as serious nicks to the focal points of the design. I would put it as a 50-53.

20 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Being the only incuse coin design in the United States, the Gold Indian head design is the hardest to grade of all series, as well as the hardest to tell if it's actually real or fake. Any of us, regardless of how experienced, will likely not be able to give an accurate grade for it, but from the pictures it looks like an excellent piece.

The ten dollar piece shows some wear, although not extreme, and discoloration, as well as serious nicks to the focal points of the design. I would put it as a 50-53.

Thank you. Some people told me the $10 was cleaned.. Not that I could notice any signs of cleaning...What do you think of these? 

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 2.12.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 2.12.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 10.57.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 10.57.21 AM.png

Cleaning on gold coins is usually done with an acid rather than whizzing because of how soft it is. The areas on the coin where it was treated will have a pink hue to it. Gold coins usually don't need to be cleaned though, gold is a noble metal, and these coins don't corrode. To me it doesn't look cleaned, no pink spotted, but if it was cleaned 20-30 years after it was initially made and then circulated a bit, I wouldn't be able to tell.

For capped bust coins, look for the bead on the necklace and the hair above the face for the obverse, and the Eagles wing tips and neck above the shield for the reverse. The bead lacks some definition, and some hair locks are blending together, as are the wings on the reverse. I'd give it a mid range VF-25/30

The gold coin also looks to be a VF-30

19 hours ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Cleaning on gold coins is usually done with an acid rather than whizzing because of how soft it is. The areas on the coin where it was treated will have a pink hue to it. Gold coins usually don't need to be cleaned though, gold is a noble metal, and these coins don't corrode. To me it doesn't look cleaned, no pink spotted, but if it was cleaned 20-30 years after it was initially made and then circulated a bit, I wouldn't be able to tell.

For capped bust coins, look for the bead on the necklace and the hair above the face for the obverse, and the Eagles wing tips and neck above the shield for the reverse. The bead lacks some definition, and some hair locks are blending together, as are the wings on the reverse. I'd give it a mid range VF-25/30

The gold coin also looks to be a VF-30

Thank you for telling me this. From what I can tell there is little to no wear on the $2.5 lib. 

The two Liberty head pieces are EF and the 1926 QE grades "suspicious."

Edited by RWB