• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intro - working on inherited collection. First coin for review is 1974 D Kennedy Half Dollar (DD?)

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself - I have been reading and following many of the posts on here in an effort to gain some knowledge over the last month or so. I just joined so that I can post to discuss some coins/ get advice on how to review this collection. A family member passed and I am attempting to go through and get an idea of what we are looking at in terms of value - determine if we should possibly get any graded and try to auction/sell/or keep. I have some that I believe have doubling but being very new I understand there can be differences such as machine doubling vs true and most will not be valuable - I am doing my best to learn as I go, but nothing beats the eye of someone who has experience in the area so I appreciate anyone taking time to look at my post(s).

I purchased a microscope and read the post regarding newbies/posting photos etc. But, if I miss anything please let me know and I will be happy to provide additional information/photos.

------------------

I would like to start with this coin as I found it very interesting and it looks to be in decent condition (to me haha). I don't want to take anything out of packaging that they are in as I don't know anything about storage and I don't want to risk any damage if valuable. But, I will do my best to provide clear images. The information I am looking for is: 

1) Does this appear to be true doubling?

2) Is this a coin that you would consider getting graded? what is your opinion on condition?

3) Is grading expensive?

4) What would you estimate this would sell for if we sent to auction or went to a dealer?

Lastly, 5) where do you suggest is the best place or method for sales?

Coin: 1974 D Kennedy Half Dollar - 

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image14.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Edited by Kay!
change title to show DD

Welcome and great first post, a model for others to follow.  Your questions:

1) Yes it does exhibit signs of both true doubling and some MD; VV only lists one DDO for this date/mm and it has a greater spread on the letters than your coin.  Its possible that your coin may be a latter die state or a new discovery, either way you would need to submit it for verification of the DDO and then you would need to decide if you want to have it graded and slabbed.

2) I would for sure have it graded if it turns out to be a new discovery piece.  Most likely I would not if it is not verified as a new discovery and/or DDO.

3) Grading and slabbing usually around $50 all in for one coin (less if you have multiple coins as you can avg out the shipping costs).

4) I don't collect or follow the pricing for this series so I don't know for sure but I would guess under $10 raw and under $20 if slabbed and not a discovery coin.

5) Raw Ebay is the best platform, slabbed then either Ebay or Great Collections would be the best auction house venue.

Best of luck I hope it turns out to be a new discovery coin.

I agree, great first post from someone who is doing their own research, takes great pictures, and actually has something. Do you have a closeup of T in Liberty and "We Trust"? The FS-101 isn't super valuable, looks like around $90, but a "discovery" coin probably has some extra cachet. My observation is that the discovery coin process would take some effort. On the storage issue, make sure the staples are flattened so they don't scratch other coins.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome and great first post, a model for others to follow.  Your questions:

1) Yes it does exhibit signs of both true doubling and some MD; VV only lists one DDO for this date/mm and it has a greater spread on the letters than your coin.  Its possible that your coin may be a latter die state or a new discovery, either way you would need to submit it for verification of the DDO and then you would need to decide if you want to have it graded and slabbed.

2) I would for sure have it graded if it turns out to be a new discovery piece.  Most likely I would not if it is not verified as a new discovery and/or DDO.

3) Grading and slabbing usually around $50 all in for one coin (less if you have multiple coins as you can avg out the shipping costs).

4) I don't collect or follow the pricing for this series so I don't know for sure but I would guess under $10 raw and under $20 if slabbed and not a discovery coin.

5) Raw Ebay is the best platform, slabbed then either Ebay or Great Collections would be the best auction house venue.

Best of luck I hope it turns out to be a new discovery coin.

Thank you for taking time to provide such a full response - I'm really impressed with the level of activity on this forum. I did not think I would see such a quick response!  

I will definitely look into the verification - its important to me that we honor his efforts/collection. I did some searching and found the coin you were referring to for the DDO of this year and mint mart on the Variety Plus list on NGC - I see what you are referring to on the spread. Im glad you pointed this out - I was not aware that there was a list of the varieties! I will definitely be using this as resource moving forward. 

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I agree, great first post from someone who is doing their own research, takes great pictures, and actually has something. Do you have a closeup of T in Liberty and "We Trust"? The FS-101 isn't super valuable, looks like around $90, but a "discovery" coin probably has some extra cachet. My observation is that the discovery coin process would take some effort. On the storage issue, make sure the staples are flattened so they don't scratch other coins.

Ahh yes! the staples excellent point. I will be sure to check for that on the others as well!

I took the additional photos - I also did an extra up close of the W because its not very clear. I'm struggling with some of the glare off the plastic. Happy to take any others if it helps! 

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

B1D84FC1-FACA-4045-8288-129D9FC4CD84.jpeg

Edited by Kay!

Welcome, can't wait to see more from you Kay!

This is a nice find. To me this doesn't look like a FS-101, not enough/serious doubling in the "TR" of trust, but there appears to be actual doubling. CONECA would be your best bet for getting something new attributed.

For future reference on varieties, doubling, etc... try the variety vista website. It has tons of photos and helps a lot with attribution.

21 hours ago, Kay! said:

I did not think I would see such a quick response!

I did. This place yearns to teach and expends enormous amounts of effort patiently trying to teach people who will not learn. We get starved for realistic expectations, literate inquiries with authentic punctuation and obvious intellect, and a desire to learn and understand. Such a welcome change from "I found this dubbul die 1989 no ment mark penny i am sure its very vaulable can u plz tell me what its worf if u like this 1 i have 1000s more just like it as u can c i didnt pay atention in riting classes and this is how i show u all i rilly dont give a f bomb about u just confurm my perconceaved notions and incurage me so i can keep postin worthless quoins on ur forrem"

So, yeah. They'll mob you to help you. You will not be safe from having experienced numismatists sneak up on your posts and load you down with help. Welcome and enjoy--and I think your departed relation would be proud.

19 hours ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Welcome, can't wait to see more from you Kay!

This is a nice find. To me this doesn't look like a FS-101, not enough/serious doubling in the "TR" of trust, but there appears to be actual doubling. CONECA would be your best bet for getting something new attributed.

For future reference on varieties, doubling, etc... try the variety vista website. It has tons of photos and helps a lot with attribution.

I will take a look at both Variety Vista and Coneca - Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, JKK said:

I did. This place yearns to teach and expends enormous amounts of effort patiently trying to teach people who will not learn. We get starved for realistic expectations, literate inquiries with authentic punctuation and obvious intellect, and a desire to learn and understand. Such a welcome change from "I found this dubbul die 1989 no ment mark penny i am sure its very vaulable can u plz tell me what its worf if u like this 1 i have 1000s more just like it as u can c i didnt pay atention in riting classes and this is how i show u all i rilly dont give a f bomb about u just confurm my perconceaved notions and incurage me so i can keep postin worthless quoins on ur forrem"

So, yeah. They'll mob you to help you. You will not be safe from having experienced numismatists sneak up on your posts and load you down with help. Welcome and enjoy--and I think your departed relation would be proud.

haha! This gave me a good laugh because I did see a few posts like that myself before I formally joined the chat board. I appreciate all the positivity as this is a big project for me. A bit overwhelming - but, I'm feeling so much better about it knowing there are good people out there willing to share information and who genuinely care to take time to explain so I can better my understanding. Its encouraging and very much appreciated. Cheers to you all!