• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New and nervous
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi there, I believe I have possession of an incredibly rare and valuable coin, and I am not comfortable with the evaluation process of mailing it in and waiting for them to send it back. I would be looking to auction this coin, as I am not a collector, and I am looking for any advice on how to go about this and also protect myself from theft or fraud. I want to go about this the right way, as it could significantly change the lives of my whole family. Thank you for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. Is it possible for you to post clear, close-up pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin? We might be able to give you an idea of the potential value. ( "We" meaning the members of this forum. I am not affiliated with NGC in any way.)

9 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. Is it possible for you to post clear, close-up pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin? We might be able to give you an idea of the potential value. ( "We" meaning the members of this forum. I am not affiliated with NGC in any way.)

I have researched the potential value, and the last coin like this that sold at auction was for a 7-figure amount. I guess I am looking more for advice on where to go, who is a reputable dealer, what procedures I should follow. This is new to me and I am not a trusting soul. 🙂

1 minute ago, KN56 said:

I have researched the potential value, and the last coin like this that sold at auction was for a 7-figure amount. I guess I am looking more for advice on where to go, who is a reputable dealer, what procedures I should follow. This is new to me and I am not a trusting soul. 🙂

NGC's Dealer List page - click here

Welcome to the forum, there is nothing we can do to help you without some basic information, what the coin is, and some photos.  I'm not sure just what you think this place is but nobody here knows who you are or where you live so nobody is going to show up on your doorstep from here because you post a photo of a coin.  Also we get several "life altering" coins that people claim to find each week, I have never seen one yet be the real deal.  I'm not saying your wrong but experience has taught me that the odds are the coin you have is not what you think it is, but if you can provide nice clear photos I'm sure that someone here can provide the information you are seeking. 

As the above folks have mentioned, a picture would help immeasurably.  Short of that, if you truly believe it is a 7 figure coin, and wish to have it graded/verified as genuine, I suggest getting on a plane with it and flying to Florida to hand deliver it to NGC for grading.

However, as @Coinbuf said, we have seen numerous "life altering" coins on this board and others, and only once have I seen one actually be the real deal.  And that was "only" a $20k coin.  But of course, in that instance, many members of those boards agreed that the coin looked genuine and was worth the expense of having it graded/verified.

(Why do I feel this splendid 1943 Lincoln is going to turn out to be made from steel and not copper? If you have car trouble would you jump onto a chat board you never knew existed, or take it to a mechanic? You're going to have to be more forthcoming. What are you going to do when you win the New York State lottery which bars claiming a prize anonymously? Contact a reputable, NGC-authorized local coin dealer, like Stack's, which has been around since well before the advent of clad coinage, for authentication. One more thing: condition matters. Just giving you a heads-up here.)

On 7/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, KN56 said:

We can see that. Of course, the most likely scenario is that it's a counterfeit or replica. In any case, without seeing pictures or knowing what it is, we can't help you much. Based upon our experience, the odds are about 99.99% that posting the photos enables us to save you a long drive or plane trip. Maybe higher.

Considering that none of us know where you live or how to locate you, and that even a mega-crook who somehow used Internet woo to discover you would assume that (if it were even possibly real) you keep it in a bank branch safe deposit box, I think you're out of "healthy skepticism" and well into "paranoia." If you want help, you know what to do.

In the absence of once ubiquitous brick-and-mortar establishments, and your understandable reluctance to put yourself out there with photographs, you're only other option is direct submission to a TPG such as NGC. (How much you ought to insure your parcel for is a valid concern; I rely on Registered postal mail and a nominal amount of insurance.) An auction house is going to want to see something, anything, to substantiate your claim that you own a particular item worthy of their attention and that means certification, or detailed photos they can check. Even those Pawn Stars rely on experts to render an opinion -- with the item in question right there in front of them.