• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revised book cover - Table of Contents added
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Book.

All the chapters are related by being in response to a fade, or a foible, or simply a fake. They are all humanly eccentric and fun.

Looks like it will be about 350 pages, hard cover; ToC but no index.

The Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) format never caught on with researchers. It's purpose was to publish high-quality original numismatic research without limitations of length or subject. Even though the original content is of high quality and much is entirely new to American numismatics, the format never caught on with collectors or authors.

Edited by RWB

Sounds like an exploration of those interesting stories that often get shoved to the side. 

Are you going to be covering well known counterfeiters as well? (Henning, Omega, etc?)

As always, I look forward to buying a copy! 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

3 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Sounds like an exploration of those interesting stories that often get shoved to the side. 

Are you going to be covering well known counterfeiters as well? (Henning, Omega, etc?)

Some, such as the Barclay experiments at the Philadelphia Mint are known by name but not by what was, or was not, done. Wheeler Hubbell's machinations, combined with Thaddeus Steven's ignorance created a pile of "goloid" and "metric" pattern and experimental pieces - including the $4 Stella. Hubbell has been referenced countless times in articles and sale catalogs, but never with the detail in the book. Other "characters" include Bickford's International coin - which wasn't designed by Bickford; holed minor coin design concepts from Robert Hall and J. Eastman Johnson; and the range of annular gold dollar pattern pieces. Just for fun there is a short chapter about Dr. Charles W. Stearns unexpectedly modern bi-metallic gold dollar, plus other things largely unknown today.

I do not cover counterfeits as specific topics. Except for USSS reports and some good newspaper articles about older cases, the subject is so clogged with lies that it's a waste of time.

“Fads”, huh? Have you left room for “registry sets” in there? {he ducks in self-defense}

On 7/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, RWB said:

I'm hoping to have this out by December 2020, but it might be later. Ignore the price sticker -- just part of the mock-up.

Cover v04 v-sm.jpg

Man, I absolutely love this! Something to give a jolt to the old spark plugs and get the creative juices flowing!  Twilight Zone-ish! Thanks, I needed that!

A surprising number of these resulted in pattern and experimental pieces being made.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran
On 7/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, RWB said:

A surprising number of these resulted in pattern and experimental pieces being made.

And sold to collectors and dealers who had inside connections...

12 hours ago, DWLange said:

And sold to collectors and dealers who had inside connections...

Many were also sold to those with outside disconnections.

I am very slowly piecing together the enigma of circulation and pattern restrikes and distribution. The processes differ from one time period to another, so there is no overall finger pointing direction. Rather than dropping bits, pieces and assorted bologna, I'll have to ask collectors to wait while the materials are researched, validated and analyzed.

The book, above, will help straighten out the stories of several pattern pieces.

After this post was made, several people sent me messages asking if the Feuchtwanger tokens are included. The answer is "No." The reason is that Feuchtwanger's composition and tokens have been discussed in considerable detail by others, and I do not want to repeat prior publications. The standard publications date back to at least 1982.

Here is the Table of Contents for draft #15. This is close to completion except for possibly some page number changes. Each Chapter is self-contained although there are occasional cross references.

In the past I would have included a CD with a full searchable version, but with fewer people using information devices with CD drives, I'm looking for alternatives. Suggestions are welcome.

Pages from Fads Fakes and Foibles v15_Page_1.jpg

Edited by RWB

16 hours ago, RWB said:

Here is the Table of Contents for draft #15. This is close to completion except for possibly some page number changes. Each Chapter is self-contained although there are occasional cross references.

In the past I would have included a CD with a full searchable version, but with fewer people using information devices with CD drives, I'm looking for alternatives. Suggestions are welcome.

Pages from Fads Fakes and Foibles v15_Page_1.jpg

Speaking of Rog's books, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the one on the proofs of '36-'42. Is there any source that does better for you, Roger?

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Speaking of Rog's books, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the one on the proofs of '36-'42. Is there any source that does better for you, Roger?

No. The distributor is Wizard Coin Supply. They have autographed copies at the same price as plain.

I don't receive anything when copies are sold. (The book comes with a searchable CD-ROM - substitutes for an index and is much more efficient.)

Final cover image (in low resolution) added to first post. Going out for printing and delivery quotes on Monday. (Last pieces came together faster than expected thanks to the Library of Congress folks.)

12 minutes ago, RWB said:

Final cover image (in low resolution) added to first post. Going out for printing and delivery quotes on Monday. (Last pieces came together faster than expected thanks to the Library of Congress folks.)

I'll be watching for it to come out.  Looks to be an interesting read.  Just remind me when it's out.  Thanks RWB.

44 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I'll be watching for it to come out.  Looks to be an interesting read.  Just remind me when it's out.  Thanks RWB.

Sure. Nealy all the research is new and original from primary sources. Some of it was surprising to me and completely unexpected.