• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 Massachusetts state quarter error

17 posts in this topic

Where on earth did you get an idea like that? What about this coin argues for that? If the color is your question, there were many "gold washed" state quarters sold by the unscrupulous to the unwary, and once people learned they had no value above face, they dumped them into circulation.

Edited by VKurtB

2 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

U can't tell it in the pictures real well but the rim of it at 8 o'clock more squared 11 o'clock is the same

Oh, that. Not really that uncommon on the Massachusetts quarter. There are gazillions like that. I have an entire roll with crisp overdone rims.

Another that threw me off rim on the outside where u see the copper layer it's barely  visible  very tiny gold color in the rim mostly silver colored

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Oh, that. Not really that uncommon on the Massachusetts quarter. There are gazillions like that. I have an entire roll with crisp overdone rims.

Nice! I have noticed that the graded 2000 Massachusetts and Virginia quarters are keepers.

2 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Nice! I have noticed that the graded 2000 Massachusetts and Virginia quarters are keepers.

I don't know exactly what's up with MA, but the design depth (relief) is very small, leaving lots of metal to flow to the edges, because there's nowhere else to go.

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I don't know exactly what's up with MA, but the design depth (relief) is very small, leaving lots of metal to flow to the edges, because there's nowhere else to 

Ok ty for you knowledge 

The same thing happens to almost all San Francisco "circulation quality" ATB quarters, but for another reason. The press on which they are struck was purchased to strike proof coins, and is a very much slower strike. The striking pressure is the same as the P and D quarters, but the dies stay in contact with the planchets longer, giving more time for metal to flow both into the deepest recesses of the die AND to the edges, which are truly outstanding. Look at some nice S non-proof quarters. They are all really nice.

No one has suggested that you weigh it? Weigh it.

You can wrap a quarter in some cheap cardboard and tone it. Like this one I did by accident. The color alone doesn't mean anything.

IMG_1848-ccfopt(1).jpg

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Where on earth did you get an idea like that? What about this coin argues for that? If the color is your question, there were many "gold washed" state quarters sold by the unscrupulous to the unwary, and once people learned they had no value above face, they dumped them into circulation.

Googled "gold wash coins" and ebay estate sales popped up. Very interesting. NEVER considered buying a bag of coins, but now I am thinking about it.