• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An engraved seated dollar for those who enjoy damaged dollars.

10 posts in this topic

Where HAS this skill set gone? I'd love to be able to do that stuff.

The former owner thought it was a proof, even though in the Stack's auction it was described as AU. Who knows, the fact is that there are a great many PL's out there. But the fascinating part of this coin's history is as the engraving, says it was a Xmas gift given in Dec 1865 to Captain Robert Taylor from his son Frank. Well Captain Robert Taylor happened at the time to be a Captain of a District for the Boston Police Dept and  he died on Dec 4  1866. But the significant part of the story is that on May 8 1854 The Boston Police Dept was formed under the command of Chief Robert Taylor, who was authorized to hire 250 men with an appropriation of $188,000 and ordered to report to the Mayor. He would be the Boston Police Chief from 1854-1856 returning to the position of Captain after. The engraving is done superbly and is kept to the fields. The toning on the piece is outstanding as is the condition for a damaged dollar although  I understand some may think it is ruined by the engraving, I personally enjoy the damage as an added piece of history and provenance.:)

BTW it sold previously in Stacks 2005 John Ford Sale.

Edited by realone

Have to be somewhat torn on this, on one hand the engraving is beautiful and so well done.  On the other hand that is a seated dollar.

There are still engravers who do this kind of better-quality work, but they will not inhabit your local chain jewelry knock-off store.

Taylor earned $1,800 per year.

To me the coin has been converted from a "collector's coin" to something more personal and interesting. Using a coin for a love token or other remembrance is very different from smacking it with an unreadable chop mark. I could understand authentication of the OP's coin; but not chop marked Trade dollars, except as damaged melt value.

5 hours ago, RWB said:

To me the coin has been converted from a "collector's coin" to something more personal and interesting. Using a coin for a love token or other remembrance is very different from smacking it with an unreadable chop mark. I could understand authentication of the OP's coin; but not chop marked Trade dollars, except as damaged melt value.

Here is its provenance, which to me is quite interesting:

"Ex New Netherlands Coin Co. in May 1971, said then as ex Wayte Raymond Estate". S what is interesting, it isn't a coin that Wayte sold as a dealer, it was from his personal collection imo!

On 7/8/2020 at 11:04 AM, realone said:

image.png.e89392616f16976ac6441b9e1cd28a9c.png

Coming from a place where graffiti is celebrated as artistic expression and not vandalism or damage to property (New York City) I am inclined to carve out an exception for this exceptionally beautiful coin. Had the engraving been non-italic and performed without grace, it would be a different story. Thanks for sharing as I haven't seen anything like it.