• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, its been a long while, so here is a newp $1!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

The internet is amazing. Here is the obituary for Edward Bringhurst Jr., born 1835, died April 3, 1912. He was a prominent lifelong resident of Wilmington, DE.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9248064/death-of-edward-bringhurst-jr/

He was descended from Elizabeth Shipley. His great-uncle Joseph Shipley, built the Rockwood mansion ( built 1851-1854), and passed to Edward in 1891. The mansion then passed to the daughter Mary listed on this "love token", and eventually passed to New Castle County. The Rockwood estate is now a museum and park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwood_Museum_and_Park

@realone, if you didn't know all this already, I can imagine that the museum would very much like to acquire this piece.

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Would an 25th anniversary engraved Morgan be considered a Love Token?

I would say yes.

Neat love token!

I admit, if I’d seen just the obverse, based on the color and darkened borders, I would have guessed that it was a Chinese counterfeit.

3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Neat love token!

I admit, if I’d seen just the obverse, based on the color and darkened borders, I would have guessed that it was a Chinese counterfeit.

LOL, and I on the other hand would have thought it was a proof and still believe so.

But thank you for your commentary.;)

17 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome back :)

Very cool piece. Would an 25th anniversary engraved Morgan be considered a Love Token?

Unfortunately it is classified under the term  "Lovetoken" even tho I despise that terminology. I rather describe it as a contemporary  professionally engraved dollar.

33 minutes ago, realone said:

Unfortunately it is classified under the term  "Lovetoken" even tho I despise that terminology. I rather describe it as a contemporary  professionally engraved dollar.

Alan, why do you despise that terminology? Your way of describing it would certainly take the <3 out of it!

47 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Alan, why do you despise that terminology? Your way of describing it would certainly take the <3 out of it!

"Love Token" isn't numismatic enough for me, sounds like love letters blah blah blah. ;)

On 7/8/2020 at 7:00 AM, MarkFeld said:

Neat love token!

Sadly, I've been shown a couple of counterfeit love tokens. One was on a fake 1885 Eagle and another was a common fake Morgan dollar - I forget the date. Premiums on these things bring out the roaches.

5 hours ago, RWB said:

Sadly, I've been shown a couple of counterfeit love tokens. One was on a fake 1885 Eagle and another was a common fake Morgan dollar - I forget the date. Premiums on these things bring out the roaches.

I assure it is real, I also believe it to be a proof. The matching coin is  a 1882 Proof 63 $20 with the identical reversed engraving on a plained off surface. The family was one of the wealthiest in the country. And the martriarch was a known coin collector.

I was not implying the pictured coin was counterfeit. Just making a tangential comment.

:)

2 hours ago, thebeav said:

Great love token !

Count me among those not the least offended by the terminology.......

I think I may be offended that you're not offended. That's the way it goes in 2020.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:48 AM, MarkFeld said:

True.  Sounds way better than a hobo nickel.