• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 “S” Proof Lincoln cent Plating error???

7 posts in this topic

I removed this from a mint proof set years ago and has been in safe storage since. Also in the set was a completely gold 1975 no s proof dime. This was before I knew any significant guidelines to numismatics. Back to this penny. Is it normal for the coloring to have gold, purple & silver tones. Very difficult to get clear picture that fully catches just how unusually vibrant the tones are. Is this what’s considered “Deep Cameo”?

F93CAC78-8B89-45E5-B2F8-372DDA557841.jpeg

F45C22F9-67EA-4229-82C9-9BC591694A6E.jpeg

DE9AA1D1-2B77-4E19-A60B-7365907E633C.jpeg

It can and does happen, usually its a by product of improper storage.  Some people very much like toned coins and some do not, deep cameo refers to when a coin looks black and white.  The fields will look black and the portrait/letters look white (copper in the case of cents).  I don't have a photo of one of my DCAM Lincolns so I pulled this obv from the NGC explorer.

75s dc.jpg

15 hours ago, LucaAlexBrassi said:

Also in the set was a completely gold 1975 no s proof dime.

Were going to have to see pictures to believe that. Considering currently there are only 2 known. And last I knew one of those was still in an unopened set.

I kick myself in the rear quite often.. I didn’t know anything about coins really and lost all but this Cent over the years.(From the proof set I ignorantly opened) The scratches are on the holder.