• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sort of newbie question

5 posts in this topic

I’ve been collecting for about a year now and have noticed and always wondered why on most coins the lowest grade possible of that particular coin seems to be worth a little more and sometimes significantly more than the next few grades above it. What is the reason for this? as it makes absolutely no sense to me, I mean all u would have to do is take a coin that’s seems to be a 2-3 is rough it up to get it to that lowest grade and make more money. I know that sounds crazy but so does the grading system on this scenario. Thanks for any light on the subject.

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

If you are referring to coins graded at PO1 which is the lowest grade a coin can be given, that is because they are in known as lowball coins. There are collectors who collect lowballs and the lower the grade, the more it is worth.  Many times it is harder to find a low-ball than a high grade in the same series. As far as "roughing it up" to make it look worn, it is usually easy to tell between a genuine low-ball and a manufactured one. To be a genuine low-ball, you have to be able to tell the date and denomination, a coin that is worn so much that it looks like a blank has no value.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

You also have to consider that to be worth a premium as a "lowball" it still has to be able to straight grade.  And once you get down into those very low grades the changes of damage causing it to get a detail grade increase.  That is one reason why trying to "artificially wear down" a coin to make it a lowball rarely works. The resulting coin looks unnatural and gets a detail grade.  So instead of increasing the value you end up paying for the slabbing and have a coin whose value has actually been reduced.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

It is crazy.

People also do the "pocket piece" thing on details coins, to remove evidence of cleaning etc, via "accelerated circulation wear". Whatever floats their boat I guess.