• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please ID 2003 Silver eagle - matte/reverse?

10 posts in this topic

Well it has the appearance of a reverse proof, but they didn't make reverse proofs that year.  So someone has either taken a genuine 2003 ASE, heavily polished it and then frosted the fields, or it is a complete fake coin.  I can't tell which it is from these images but I suspect a polished coin.  They also erred because on the reverse proofs the sun rays and lettering are also mirrored.

I have not weighed the coin but I will check out to see composition. if they polished and sanded the coin they did a perfect job weird. At least as far as uniform lines etc from the raised relieve to the field. 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, drewspuppet said:

I have not weighed the coin but I will check out to see composition. if they polished and sanded the coin they did a perfect job weird. At least as far as uniform lines etc from the raised relieve to the field. 

Resembles one of several altered and counterfeit Silver Eagles made in Colorado. These are especially noxious because authentic Silver Eagles can be included in a self-directed IRA.