• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Error or toning?

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I came across this coin with an odd mark. I have seen other coins referenced on the web as having water or tear errors from the mint. But I am not sure if there is a way to truly tell or if it is an error that is meaningful to collector's. Any thoughts would be appreciated! The coin is a 1987 Canadian silver dollar. The magnification is 40X Thanks

IMG_20200628_151348.jpg

IMG_20200628_151402.jpg

It is not an error, it is called a milk spot which is not uncommon on silver coins. They can occur well after the coin has left the mint and can even occur when the coin is encapsulated. It  usually lowers the value because of it's eye appeal.

It looks cool, zooming in on your magnified image, like a crystalline structure. It seems to be covering almost half of two denticles, vertically. I wonder if it's PVC damage and not a milk spot.

12 hours ago, kbbpll said:

It looks cool, zooming in on your magnified image, like a crystalline structure. It seems to be covering almost half of two denticles, vertically. I wonder if it's PVC damage and not a milk spot.

The green spot in the middle of the milk spot looks active, best up close photo I have seen of a milk spot.

Contamination. Based on the photo, the coin is ruined as a collector coin. (Nice detail photo, BTW.)

Edited by RWB

Cool photo on the closeup. Looks like a volcanic island in the Aleutians.