• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was not aware that we are in the middle of a coin shortage
2 2

115 posts in this topic

Yep been reported and discussed on other forums already.  Its not really a shortage so much as a delivery/rotation issue, banks have not been getting as much coin in due to lobby closures and armored delivery's have been impacted due to the covid.  There is plenty of coinage once things can get back to normal; whatever that may look like; and banks are open and able to accept change and the armored services get back to regular deliveries.  

14 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Everyone is rounding up with their change.

I don't know where you got this info but not everyone is rounding up, I know I have not been.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

I don't know where you got this info but not everyone is rounding up, I know I have not been.

OK. I stand corrected. Shops in my neighborhood are rounding up. I have not a got a penny in change for over a week.

Totally off topic here, but I didn't want to make a separate post and figured those present here would 'get it'. I think I found our friend on FB. Lol!

Screenshot_20200626-194222.png

The banks 50 miles radius around my area won't give me anymore coin's. They say there limited on giving coins out, there only given to businesses ,and not to people for personal use. But now the banks best excuse is you're not a member with them. But hopefully they pick back up soon. 

Well, Alex is not having problems 'cause Central Pennsylvania is off-center from the middle of the apex of the shortage of coins....The real center is someplace just outside of Indianapolis or maybe Green Bay - depends on the weather and size of mosquitoes this season. (Little known non-Fact: Santa uses over-wintering mosquitoes from Wisconsin to pull his sleigh, not elk or caribou.)

Edited by RWB

Good summary here: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/mint-fed-team-battle-coin-shortage-brought-on-by-covid-19-pandemic.

I asked the liquor store guy (Colorado) about it yesterday. He said they have their own stockpile, but he had to pay somebody $15 for a roll of quarters so he could do laundry. Not sure if I believe that, because he also said the shortage was because banks were washing all the coins.

A friend in Las Vegas just told me that BofAs there are claiming to be short on staff. Long lines. ATMs do not have cash.  A Rite Aid I go to is no cash back with debit cards here in Southern CA.

Still no problems in getting pennies, nickels and quarters from the 5 banks in town.  maybe it's just in chosen states.

:popcorn:

Edited by Alex in PA.

Well the "shortage" has arrived here in the DFW area. There are news reports speaking of it. My wife was in New Mexico last week and the store she stopped at was only accepting card payments due this "shortage".

Alex,

You're very near me and the coin shortage HAS HIT downtown Harrisburg. The RiteAid was desperately asking for exact change, and even had no cents at all to give in change. Post-cent rounding was being used. I'm officially "down 2 cents".

Edited by VKurtB

I'm rolling and even boxing cents for my neighborhood RiteAid, the people who keep me alive.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I'm rolling and even boxing cents for my neighborhood RiteAid, the people who keep me alive.

Great idea! My neighborhood RiteAid helps keep me alive too. No coin shortage signs at the CVS yet.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Brought in 2 rolls of PR condition AtB quarters to my RiteAid and the manager was extremely happy. He told me that Wells Fargo was limiting their change to $17.50 per day but just bumped it up to $22.50. Ended up grading and keeping just a little over a roll out of the four 2019 D ATB Lowell rolls I got from my bank.

I just got an email in my Google,  that the mint isn't producing much coin's because of the pediment. Something about down to 40 percent only going out. And of course there try to kill the penny. They want to kill the penny and make 1 dollar cooper coin's and get rid of the paper dollars. So instead of purchasing an item at 1.99 it would be round up to an even 2.00. Crazy stuff going on but interesting though. 

It looks like the mint is deciding to quit producing Lincoln cents. Maybe!! Just got this stuff pop up on my phone. It's looking like everything will be round up to a nickel. But there saying the nickel will  be next. What's this going to do to this hobby. Hmmm. I'm thinking alot of people are going to hold on to there coin's. The mint is asking people to cash in there coin's. From what I'm hearing Canada stop there one cents in 2012. Idk, but interesting. 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, VKurtB said:

Alex,

You're very near me and the coin shortage HAS HIT downtown Harrisburg. The RiteAid was desperately asking for exact change, and even had no cents at all to give in change. Post-cent rounding was being used. I'm officially "down 2 cents".

I'm up here in Clinton County and haven't yet encountered a problem.  I say yet because I'm starting to read a lot about it.  I get 5 rolls of quarters every Thursday and have yet to be turned down.  That is not to say this Thursday I won't get a "Sorry".  See you're moving - hope it turns out real fine for you.  I will let you know if I encounter shortages.

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

It looks like the mint is deciding to quit producing Lincoln cents. Maybe!! Just got this stuff pop up on my phone. It's looking like everything will be round up to a nickel. But there saying the nickel will  be next. What's this going to do to this hobby. Hmmm. I'm thinking alot of people are going to hold on to there coin's. The mint is asking people to cash in there coin's. From what I'm hearing Canada stop there one cents in 2012. Idk, but interesting. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that a decision on to or not to produce pennies is up to the mint.