• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People need to get back to work...

21 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if it's all the free time that people have right now because of the shutdowns or if it's all of the free money that is being handed out, or maybe it's to escape the current state of the Union - but I've been getting blown out of auctions lately, even on my strong bids.

Have you notice the same? 

With interest rates near 1% again, might as well buy something tangible. I'm still only using disposable income, but my "enjoyment value" threshold has gone up.

I'm not buying or bidding as this has had a very negative impact on my business and thus disposable income is way down for me.  But I have been watching a few coins that I would have very much liked to have bid on and they all went for strong to very strong money.

With what I collect, it is just the opposite: no one is buying, including me, at the moment. I have several tokens on my Ebay watch list that keep getting relisted.

Everyone said 'wait and see', I'm tired of waiting, and I haven't seen much fluctuation in what I'm interested in. I'm headed for HA tomorrow and submit several.

I generally prefer to avoid buying online (although if things keep on going this way, I may very well soon have no choice), but I have noticed that prices have gone up. Probably people looking to move investments from a currently less-than-ideal stock market to something "safe"

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

With what I collect, it is just the opposite: no one is buying, including me, at the moment. I have several tokens on my Ebay watch list that keep getting relisted.

I see most of my eBay items sit indefinitely.  A few have recently sold but not many.  I also see the same items come up in my searches that I have not saved which have been there for years since the seller refuses to lower the price.  

US Coins seem to be doing okay, I've been outbid at close to list, and not CAC. My main interest is in foreign medals; biggest problem there is supply. Very little new to pick from. 

Yes, prices are strong. I've noticed it across a bunch of different venues worldwide and heard the same from dealers.

It makes sense as a lot of people are still fully employed, but lacking places to go to spend money. Add in the fact that many employed people received a stimulus check. Quite a few unemployed people are receiving higher benefits than what they were making while employed. I bet a lot of people took advantage of the mortgage forbearance even if they didn't need to. Money is flowing for a lot of people.

COVID has also allowed us time to examine our collections and see what we want to add/delete from them. 

Well, I got a 5% raise literally a week before the market tanked and a bonus that was equal to about 5% of my annual salary, on top of that we got a bigger refund than we were expecting in April. So We really got flushed with cash and our expenses went down when we almost stopped spending anything on gas and haven't been eating out at all. We are starting to use a little of our disposable income on buying weekends away at pool houses with the in-laws just to get away from the damn house a little and enjoy a little of the summer.

So I've definitely gotten to spend more on coins and currency than I would have if life were more normal and I've definitely used all of this to work on catching up on my Queen's Beast coins and building my ZImbabwe set - I'm getting really really close to having that set basically finished.

So I'd say what everyone is saying here is definitely true for a lot of people including myself. But I'm also only spending a small part of it all and we're still socking away a lot of cash as a just in case thing. We put a little bit into the stock market when things were still low in March and April but I'm definitely not going all-in there like some people seem to be.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, 1917 said:

I generally prefer to avoid buying online (although if things keep on going this way, I may very well soon have no choice), but I have noticed that prices have gone up. Probably people looking to move investments from a currently less-than-ideal stock market to something "safe"

+1000, especially the part about avoiding buying online. My local in-person only auctions (my favorite source) have all gotten COVID scarce.

Edited by VKurtB

When all this started, I was actually looking forward to having a lot of time off. I even made a list of things to take care of. It didn't work out that way. My work doubled and there is no time to even do the normal stuff I need to take care of. I'm worn out.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, Zebo said:

I've been getting blown out of auctions lately, even on my strong bids.

I am not terribly active in purchasing coins these days, but I have noticed the same thing.

37 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I am not terribly active in purchasing coins these days, but I have noticed the same thing.

Well there's a face I haven't seen in a long time. How ya been, James?