• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Satin proof peace dollar

36 posts in this topic

I guess some numismatists are just Ebinezer Scrooge. Some have a heart of gold. Others can pour a big, cool, tall glass of go double die yourself. I’d say that’s a satin cameo.

DF49D2FC-9014-4438-85E5-323A26569AB2.jpeg

B4F77581-208D-4273-B30C-E10AA3D0365F.jpeg

Edited by Ratzie33

Cameo is usually seen on proof coinage, with the relief featuring a frosted finish and the field being mirror-like, and there being a contrast between the fields and the devices of the coin.

Edited by Ratzie33

James, James, James,

It’s been pretty conclusively proven (Over at CoinTalk) that the coin you are showing is an Alibaba.com sold fake. The only dissenting voice is that "Stoopid" chief moderator over at CT who never could think, and now obviously can’t see, either. All he knows is how to act "Stoopid". 

The coin you are showing, the alibaba.com fake, has a look that resembles a cameo brilliant proof, not a satin proof. Satin proof coins do NOT exhibit cameo or semi-cameo features. They are matte throughout, with no cameo features. Go sell stupid somewhere else. We’re all full up here.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/11/2020 at 4:41 AM, Ratzie33 said:

I’d like to see another peace dollar “appear” to have a satin cameo finish.

I've seen some, they were altered coins, known as "California prooflikes"   Coin fields were polished to a mirror finish and then the devices artificially frosted.  Usually done on Morgans, but I have seen a few peace dollars as well.