• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Lincoln memorial penny DDO
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I think this is a DDO 1979 Lincoln memorial penny with errors on reverse (I) in America is way out of line . something looks to be struck in Lincoln's head and in the open fields ...on obvese looks like a  big DDO and in high grade can anyone help me out with info on this coin

20200620_032724.jpg

4 hours ago, Brad adams said:

I think this is a DDO 1979 Lincoln memorial penny with errors on reverse (I) in America is way out of line . something looks to be struck in Lincoln's head and in the open fields ...on obvese looks like a  big DDO and in high grade can anyone help me out with info on this coin.....is this a rare error coin

20200620_032724.jpg

Well, there are no DDO's for the date and Mint, and so nothing to compare it to, and your photos, while cropped, are not close ups of any area that would allow me to see any of the other stuff you mention. It def wouldn't be unheard of to find an unattributed DD 40+yrs later so if you really think there is something there either get better photos or send it in and see what they say. Good luck.

As Ms.Holcomb noted, it's not a doubled die coin. Part of the difficulty might come from the photos. They are excessively compressed and artificially "sharpened." This ruins detail and introduces false edges and stray data in the photos.

Thank u ....

I took it today to a pcgs certified dealer....he told me it was definitely a DDO first one of that year he has ever heard of he said fill out paperwork send it in.....

So is it better to send in 5 or 10 or just send the one

Do you trust this dealer? I don't think any TPG designates and then attributes unknown varieties. Your image above is very good and I can zoom way in on it, and I can't see doubling anywhere. Even on the really subtle ones there's still a distinct line somewhere separating overlapping characters or a split serif.