• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Set for a Six Year Old
1 1

20 posts in this topic

My father recently gave my five year old son an 1883 silver dollar and my son thinks it's the coolest thing ever. My wife and I have scrounged up some of our random coins and he just loves looking at them and talking about them.

His sixth birthday is coming up and I would love to get him a set of pretty, interesting, shiny coins. Obviously he's pretty young so we don't want to get anything of real value. Is there a resource where I could purchase a VERY beginner set of coins for him? I think the most diverse in terms of dates, countries of origin and materials would be the best. but I have no clue where to look. I'm thinking of spending $25-40.

Any help would be appreciated. And since I don't have any coins of note to share a picture of, I've attached a picture of Hank himself.

Hank Times Square.jpg

Welcome to the boards, the US mint has at times put together some youth sets but those usually were only a few (or one) US coins.  I don't know if they still have anything like that but you could check out the website as a start.  Another good way is to find a local coin dealer, most have a junk box or bin that might contain a broader selection of world and US coins.  Those coins are usually not very expensive maybe a buck or two each and could be a great way to stimulate his curiosity and provide a spark for collecting.  Another option would be to get an inexpensive album and some starter coins, like say the current shield Lincoln cents, that is something you can sit with him and go through pocket change to find new coins for the album.  Here is an inexpensive folder style holder for the shield cents.

Shield Cent folder

If you want to take the horizon beyond US coins, you can buy assorted bags of foreign coins for pennies per piece. Some of them will be shiny and all will be learning opportunities.

53 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

We could all mail him stuff if you IM people your address. I know I have lots of modern Euros, Canadian, Thai, Australian etc laying around.

Yup... I'd pitch in.. I've got a couple of Whitman folders with pennies (and some nickels, I think).  Nothing super valuable, but old and pretty cool.. 

Oh - and I could probably be convinced to throw in a Kennedy half for fun... 

Edited by Thompson2

You know, a couple of years ago the Mint out out a Rocket Ship Kids Set. It sold out pretty quickly but I'm sure you could find one on ebay. They were neat and I wish I'd gotten one. Also, Britain, I guess, puts out some pretty sweet Coins with different animals on them. Does he like Airplanes? Cause I have a set of WWII Warplanes from the Perth Mint I need to get shed of. They aren't in the best shape because I had to handle them trying to figure out their content, but they are still super shiny and generally a nice set. Even have a COA to go with them.

As mentioned above, foreign coins and a world map (or maybe a more limited map), or some older obsolete US coins and Canadian, Mexican, central American coins and a North America map would work better. Have him match coins to countries. He'll need help with letters and country names, but will quickly gain perspective. He'll tell you when he's ready to expand.

Limit time to about 20 minutes. That's the limit on a 6-year old's attention - unless it's a cookie.

21 minutes ago, RWB said:

Limit time to about 20 minutes. That's the limit on a 6-year old's attention - unless it's a cookie.

All good advice. Especially the bit about the cookie.  Thank you all so much.

I like the thought of getting a kid started in coins and will send some to help.

My dad got his grand kids started by buying them proof sets from when they were born.

The us mint puts out kid kits. one from2019 is still available for $9.95 on their web site.

I'll pull out a very sweet-looking 2020 Kennedy half, in fact two, a P and a D, if you can private message me an address.

But for a set that a kid can work on and have some success, it's hard to beat Jefferson Nickels. The Lincoln Cent set has more tough coins.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I'll pull out a very sweet-looking 2020 Kennedy half, in fact two, a P and a D, if you can private message me an address.

But for a set that a kid can work on and have some success, it's hard to beat Jefferson Nickels. The Lincoln Cent set has more tough coins.

He's got a decent start on Jeffersons... 62-84-ish  (I forget exactly what was in that folder)... :) 

7 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

He's got a decent start on Jeffersons... 62-84-ish  (I forget exactly what was in that folder)... :) 

Sounds like he's gonna need some of my earlier extras.

Edited by VKurtB

10 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Sounds like he's gonna need some of my earlier extras.

For sure... It was an older Whitman #2 folder, so nothing really old... or new... 

Young Hank also sent me a very nice thank-you card like the one previously pictured. One suspects Hank's parents are deeply involved in his growth and hobbies, as is right and proper, and are most pleased with his development.

20 minutes ago, JKK said:

Young Hank also sent me a very nice thank-you card like the one previously pictured. One suspects Hank's parents are deeply involved in his growth and hobbies, as is right and proper, and are most pleased with his development.

Yup, abundantly clear from the "PM" I got. Gotta encourage the "yutes", especially one from my soon-to-be-adopted new home state.

7 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Please tell Hank he is very welcome!  My collector's edition "Hank's Thank You Card" arrived yesterday.  :D

I'm glad you got it. Thank you again so very much!

We've having all sorts of fun with these coins -- they're helping him to read words, find numbers, and see all sorts of other details. 

You and the rest of the folks on this forum have created a numismatist.  Thank you!

An allosaurus, an apatosaurus and a tasty old reliable stegosaurus make good starters for a 6-year old. You can add interest (and spelling practice) with a nice flying pterodactyloid of one species or another.

(These critters vanished before coinage came into use.)

Edited by RWB