• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC to Offer a Special Grading Event Following ANA Show Suspension
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Does this apply to Ancient coins for the service levels you mentioned as well? It mentioned standard and economy which are both ancient tiers, but does not clarify if it applies to these as well.

2 hours ago, ScarceMetals.com said:

No discount for the Modern tier?

It's already the cheapest tier and I think they get plenty anyway - especially in bulk. I'm sure they sick of looking at monster boxes of Eagles since January and they'd like a change. Lol I also imagine the moderns aren't the ones people would be itching to take to an event like this unless it's an old modern from the 50s. I could be wrong though.

Doesn't matter if modern is the cheapest tier. Then stop certifying Silver Eagles as a matter of fact stop certifying modern coins all together because people buy labels today and not coins. Anyway, Its about taking care of your Elite members.

For instance if an elite member submits 10 coins under modern at $17.00 at 10% off that is 10 X $17 = $170 - $17 =$153.00

If an elite member submits 10 coins at the economy for $22.00 and get 30% off that is 10 X $22 = $220 - $66 =$154

So elite members pay $1 more and the return time for modern is 12 days and economy 28 days.

Plus, if you are submitting a gold coin now you will have to submit at Gold $25 and Early Bird at $35.  

Not that any of the tiers are expensive and that it is not worth it but you can tell that this is specifically targeting a certain group and not for the average collector.  

Edited by MJULIAN

44 minutes ago, Revenant said:

It's already the cheapest tier and I think they get plenty anyway - especially in bulk. I'm sure they sick of looking at monster boxes of Eagles since January and they'd like a change. Lol I also imagine the moderns aren't the ones people would be itching to take to an event like this unless it's an old modern from the 50s. I could be wrong though.

The Modern tier is not only for silver eagles from last year or so. I'm using it to certify conis that are 50-60 years old and with mintages in the thousands. I'm sure the graders are not seeing to many of those to get bored of them. I just think that when you announce a special discount for your members it should be for all types of coins and not preferential. 

Edited by ScarceMetals.com

10 hours ago, ScarceMetals.com said:

The Modern tier is not only for silver eagles from last year or so. I'm using it to certify conis that are 50-60 years old and with mintages in the thousands. I'm sure the graders are not seeing to many of those to get bored of them. I just think that when you announce a special discount for your members it should be for all types of coins and not preferential. 

I'm mostly messing around, and I did acknowledge to older moderns. 

While they do get moderns like that I'm still pretty sure those are a tiny fraction of what gets submitted under the Modern tier and I'd be surprised if what gets brought to something like this isn't overwhelmingly classic coinage.

I understand your frustration, but at the end of the day I think they're just tailoring the event and the incentives to target the people they expect to be interested in it. I can't really blame them there.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Me said:

Does this apply to Ancient coins for the service levels you mentioned as well? It mentioned standard and economy which are both ancient tiers, but does not clarify if it applies to these as well.

Thank you for your question. We will release additional details shortly. 

• Administrator
On 6/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, Revenant said:

I'd die if I had to look at American Eagles all day....

57 minutes ago, jmwachter said:

I'd die if I had to look at American Eagles all day....

Yeah... I have to admit; grading SAEs by the Monster Box load would sound like a special kind of living hell. Props to whoever gets stuck with it. I hope they get to listen to some fun music or podcasts while they work.

Was looking forward to taking advantage of this special. Unfortunately, two posts over 3 weeks on the ASK NGC without an answer forces me to submit them to the competition. (shrug)

Had been looking to see if NGC would grade an India Gujarat 1/6 Tanka from AH941 (1535). I picked up a dozen of these in gem condition with nice colorful toning around the rims. 

Gujarat.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, Cascadia said:

NGC sells labels and profesional opinions, not coins.

That's a cold shot!  

On 7/3/2020 at 2:35 PM, Revenant said:

Yeah... I have to admit; grading SAEs by the Monster Box load would sound like a special kind of living hell. Props to whoever gets stuck with it. I hope they get to listen to some fun music or podcasts while they work.

I wonder how well that person grades them, or if they even do. They might start the day ready to begin, accurately grading the SAEs but by the end i would think they would just go on auto-pilot going through them as fast as possible.

4 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

How is that a cold shot? 

It suggests a lack of competence and professionalism which, however likely or suspected, cannot be addressed, will not evoke a meaningful response and is therefore better left unsaid. TPGS are like the CIA or FBI in that they will "neither confirm, nor deny."

28 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It suggests a lack of competence and professionalism which, however likely or suspected, cannot be addressed, will not evoke a meaningful response and is therefore better left unsaid. TPGS are like the CIA or FBI in that they will "neither confirm, nor deny."

I don’t understand how you reached your above conclusions from “NGC sells labels and profesional opinions, not coins.”

NGC doesn’t sell coins. The comment included the word “professional” and labels have certainly become more widely created and promoted in more recent times.

37 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I don’t understand how you reached your above conclusions from “NGC sells labels and profesional opinions, not coins.”

NGC doesn’t sell coins. The comment included the word “professional” and labels have certainly become more widely created and promoted in more recent times.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Clarification:  my remark was intended for Big Nub Numis who used the word "autopilot" to speculatively describe what may happen to graders who are saddled with Monster Boxes of SAEs.

14 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Clarification:  my remark was intended for Big Nub Numis who used the word "autopilot" to speculatively describe what may happen to graders who are saddled with Monster Boxes of SAEs.

Thank you.

39 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

How is that possible?  You made your comment 3 hours before Big Nub made his.  You even quoted the other statement in your reply.  And if you're talking about your second statement being direct to Bug Nub, would still like to know how the first statment was a "cold shot".  

Edited by Morpheus1967

I don't consider "accurately grading" and "autopilot" to be opposed to one another. If you're good at what you do, you can be on "autopilot" all the time. An airplane on autopilot doesn't just screw up and crash. That's why it's called autopilot.

I have heard, and I have no reason to dispute it, that all modern coin grading at both major firms is done by the newest, least experienced graders. That particular "hell" can be called "earning your stripes".

Kinda gives you the warm fuzzies about paying extra for modern "70's", doesn't it?

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I don't consider "accurately grading" and "autopilot" to be opposed to one another. If you're good at what you do, you can be on "autopilot" all the time. An airplane on autopilot doesn't just screw up and crash. That's why it's called autopilot.

I disagree. An airplane on auto-pilot implies the pilot is simply overseeing flight as opposed to grading which is hands-on. [Anyhow, my religion forbids me to accept Perfect, Almost Perfect, Not Quite Perfect, etc. grading as applied to fresh from the Mint coinage.]

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I have heard, and I have no reason to dispute it, that all modern coin grading at both major firms is done by the newest, least experienced graders. That particular "hell" can be called "earning your stripes".

Kinda gives you the warm fuzzies about paying extra for modern "70's", doesn't it?

It is concerning. 

1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

How is that possible?  You made your comment 3 hours before Big Nub made his.  You even quoted the other statement in your reply.  And if you're talking about your second statement being direct to Bug Nub, would still like to know how the first statment was a "cold shot".  

I stand on my reply. As to the time discrepancy, I believe you are mistaken. I cannot respond to something that does not exist.  These are aggregate feeds. I guess I will have to leave it to Forensics to unravel this. Bear in mind, the original query is over two years old.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

To be fair, moderns take the least amount of experience to grade. The odds of one being counterfeit are near zero. Extremely few are altered. The grade range is fairly small. The least experienced graders should be grading them.

Extremely few will ever be sent back in for grade review due to overgrade. The average collector couldn't split hairs on the grades, so they will never know if it is over or under graded. And if caught in the marketplace, a mistake in the grade is almost not worth sending back to the TPG. For most coins the difference between a PR69 and PR70 is only a few dollars. It's perfect for less experienced graders.

And I have been told that the TPG hell is the bulk department. One grader told me of his horror when his next grading assignment was a box with hundreds of mint state Franklin halves. It wasn't just the grading, but the need to look at the bell lines for FBL. 

19 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It is concerning. 

Why is it concerning? Even the newest professional graders still have incredible credentials. 

Every profession does this - starts the new people off with the easiest tasks. You have a brand new lawyer - do you want her to take the car crash lawsuit, or the multi-million dollar merger? Get some experience on the easy stuff before you work up to the hard stuff.