• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 dime no mint mark weights 2.5 grams
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I found a 1978 dime no mint mark it weighs 2.49 grams on a 100th scale and don't know whether it's silver or another wrong composition

Is this a rare coin with any premium value

20200615_213939.jpg

Edited by Brad adams

No 2.27 grams is the normal weight for a clad dime.  But there is also a tolerance range of +/- .09 grams so tolerance could go up to 2.36 grams.  So Brad you have a dime struck on a slightly rolled thick planchet that is .13 grams overweight.  This is most likely not enough to get any error collector "worked up".  When you get to .3 or .4 grams out of tolerance (around 2.7 to 2.8 grams) then you may see some interest and premium value.

1 minute ago, Brad adams said:

So what the value of it still just face value

I know it got a die clash on obvese and possibly doubling on reverse I can see it in the do of dime....I know it has some pmd on it too

Just now, Brad adams said:

I know it got a die clash on obvese and possibly doubling on reverse I can see it in the do of dime...and epluribus is missed spelled with a (w ).I know it has some pmd on it too