• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 p dime DDO/DDR

14 posts in this topic

I found this 1981 p dime is this a rare dime 

I can't find anything on it .....I see doubling in the date especially on the 1s and in liberty filled in p mint mark on the reverse I see doubling in the E   in one and ime. On dime could find anything like this one to compare too can someone help me with this coin

20200614_132414.jpg

Brad,

you need to invest in a Cherry Picker's Guide. It has most, if not all ,the truly and semi valuable varieties. If you do not find an exact match in there then go to a website such as Variety Vista, If you do not see your coin in one or both of those sources you have a non-variety. You will learn more about coins and varieties then you could imagine. 

Ok what about varieties that's not known....at this time...it takes 40 yrs sometimes for someone to come across some never seen before it happens all the time

3 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

Ok what about varieties that's not known....at this time...it takes 40 yrs sometimes for someone to come across some never seen before it happens all the time

I didn't know any dime before 1982 that ever had a mint mark from Philly till 1982

4 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

Not so sure.

2 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

I've never seen a dime after 1946 that has a p mint mark till 1982 is that not correct

But Roll Tide anyway just another non intelligent Alabamian....lol

20 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

I've never seen a dime after 1946 that has a p mint mark till 1982 is that not correct

No, that is not correct.  The P mintmark was used on dimes starting in 1980.

44 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

I think the point is that you have to start by looking for varieties that are already known, and learn how to identify them. When you don't know what you're looking at, the chance that it's something new is near zero. Even if it was a new discovery, the road through confirmation, attribution, publication, and collector interest is a long one, before you get to "rare" and "valuable".

1 hour ago, Brad adams said:

Sounds like you need to buy a Red Book, too.

6 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I think the point is that you have to start by looking for varieties that are already known, and learn how to identify them. When you don't know what you're looking at, the chance that it's something new is near zero. Even if it was a new discovery, the road through confirmation, attribution, publication, and collector interest is a long one, before you get to "rare" and "valuable

Yes sir I completely understand but this is what I know about these coins they came from a error collector estate and yes he did collect all types of coins but alot of this stuff still in bank rolls and I'm having to learn and distinquish errors I have always be a collector just not of errors

Brad,

I'm moving to Alabama late this year and intending to join the Madison County Coin Club. The retirement monster approaches. Since I'm moving south to evade snow (I've shoveled my last), that probably means rarely getting to NYINC anymore, but getting to FUN almost every year.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, Brad adams said:

P mintmarks started in 1980.