• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wexler for Attributions, yes or no?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I know many of you don't like errors and don't deal with them much,but I still have a question that I hope you can give me input on. The last 3 coins I've sent in for attribution have been denied. 1 Dime which the Olives on were weird, and I almost accept that denial. 1 CT Quarter with some very weird thorn looking things within the branches that I didn't think would be a DDR but definitely do jot believe they are MD as they match nothing to be a double of. And today was my 1958 D Cent which over 100 FB Groupies agreed it was an RPM, he said was damage. Yes, there is damage, and the is also an obvious twist and notch. So if y'all could take a look and give your opinions that'd be awesome because there are quite a few people saying I should send the Cent Coin to another company and the other 2 I just gave up on. Thanks! -Karen

PS, if anyone wants to see a close up of an area just let me know, please. And the one Dime is here by mistake and I can't make it be-gone

-K

aviary-image-1563675417175.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-02-02-04-24-52-1.png

20190820_233220.jpeg

1584074840997~4.jpg

1584074840997~5.jpg

1584074840997.jpg

First of all, good eye on the branches, not a chance in the world I would've spotted that. The '58, I hate to say, because I don't think I've ever been right yet, but if that isn't a D over D, I'll...something, b g 

All recognized variety attributions are shown elsewhere on this site. “Novel” ones typically are not. Wexler is slightly controversial. Some see some Wexler varieties as “questionable”.

@ronnie steinstein right...And yeah, those thorns have got to be something and not Machine Doubling.

@VKurtB yes sir, I know how you feel and of course I checked our hosts site as well as many others before sending it in.  So far every single person (100"s) that have seen it except for  3 have been sure that 58D is an unlisted RPM. 

4 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@ronnie steinstein right...And yeah, those thorns have got to be something and not Machine Doubling.

@VKurtB yes sir, I know how you feel and of course I checked our hosts site as well as many others before sending it in.  So far every single person (100"s) that have seen it except for  3 have been sure that 58D is an unlisted RPM. 

NGC is not the place to “try” (in the court case sense of the word) an unlisted anything. They’re not in that game. They respond to varieties that are in published reference works only.

NGC is very good at what they do. They do not claim to do everything. Those expecting NGC to do something that they do not do will be inevitably disappointed. Example from Karen’s problem: they simply do not do variety attributions that are new. They only respond to well-known published varieties.

Karen, on the 1958-D, I recommend you search high and low for another example. More than one is the best evidence, and it takes a lot of work. There are 1150 examples on Heritage archives and 1200 on ebay, for example. The rotation of the MM seems unusual and would help to quickly skip over irrelevant coins. If it really is an RPM, there's probably around a million coins out there from the same die, but that means a 1 in 800 shot at finding another one.

@VKurtB, the "ignore" feature is your friend. Our resident troll has had at least three different identities in the last few months, no one can figure out what the heck he's blathering about, and his only purpose on here seems to be to irritate everyone and get "views". There's 14 posts of inanity on this thread alone that I peacefully didn't have to see.

1 minute ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@kbbpll yes please? Where is this ignore feature located? I have searched high and low. 

Took me a while to find it too. Hover over their user name on one of their posts and click "Ignore user". Sadly, their topics still show up "unread" when they reply to themselves over and over and over again like a raging lunatic, but you can use "mark site read" for that.

Hello to all. I am very pleased to be associated with this forum and I completely enjoy the very intelligent conversations and posts amongst those who are TRUE learners of numismatics and sincerely want to become EDUCATED coin collectors . Great post Karen by the way (not trying to dim the mood here) two thumbs up to you!! 👍👍. However..... I agree with VKurtB on this “——“ that keeps hacking serious posts and conversations. Can someone in “BLUE” (with ALL due respect) please moderate, or better yet, remove this individual from this forum?  I myself, as well as numerous other valuable members, have read more nonsense from this “poster” than should be allowed. I truly see way too much time being spent on frivolous nonsense from this “member” which takes away from the true value of this forum! 

@Greg BradfordBradford I did report to the Admins earlier due to the personal and unwarranted attack on myself as well as the hijacking of many others postings. This guy has at least 3 separate identities here. Idk what results my message to the admin will get, but my fingers are crossed. 

Btw, I never ever represented myself as an employee of NGC or anything more than the Newbie I am.  Nor did I ever use the phrase 'your kind' or anything close to it in this forum or anywhere in any chat room. I think the guy or gal has become confused due to their own ramblings.

Thanks for your input, Sir.

@Greg Bradford Flagging a post would get moderator attention more than a comment, I think. Things are pretty loose around here though. "Ignore" works for me. I think we're dealing with a 14 year old, not to insult 14 year olds in general.

@KarenHolcomb Didn't want to hijack your post. On your 2012-P dime, it's interesting because I have my own 2019-D "spiky head". I think it's die scratches.

2019-D_10_crop1.jpg

@kbbpll I wasn't referring to you hijacking. If you look at any thread with more than 5 or 6 comments chances are 80% of them are random shots at NGC thrown by the weirdo one. ( Somehow I'm sure to regret that). Comments that have nothing to do with the original posters question and due to that are very few if any relevant responders to the question asked. I've been here for 2 or 3 years now and never seen anything like it. It is quite disturbing and will very likely drive true Collectors away if it doesn't stop. 

I’m completely clear Karen. No worries and thank you. Just block or ignore this individual. I also just received Kbbpll’s reply about flagging this guy which I hope we will all do. Take care. 

@kbbpll oh, and the 2019 was a mistake to post. The 2012 had the scrapes, but I posted it due to the Olives on the tree that are circled. Wexler said it was Machine Doubling and I am asking for some other responders. I have 2 Dimes with them like that. 

8 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I wasn't referring to you hijacking

I know, we're good, I just wanted to get back on track. The emoji person is off their meds. My 2019-P and your 2012 have a similar "spiky head" thing - I just thought it was interesting. I rarely look closely at pocket change anymore but I think mine was my first 2019 coin and I happened to notice the spikes. On the 1958-D RPM, have you tried James Wiles at CONECA / VarietyVista for opinion?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Everybody take a deep breath...

Of the coins illustrated in this thread, the only one that appears to be a real variety is the 1958-D cent. It is a very minor RPM, one that oddly does not appear at the VarietyVista website:

http://www.varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/RPMs 1958D.htm

Though slightly interesting, it is too minor for NGC to attribute.

I notice that NGC has finally done the right thing and eliminated the posts from our resident "pain the butt". Hope that it is permanent this time and he doesn't show up again under a different name.

15 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

I notice that NGC has finally done the right thing and eliminated the posts from our resident "pain the butt". Hope that it is permanent this time and he doesn't show up again under a different name.

Thank goodness!!

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Dream on. It's like coronavirus; it lives on surfaces for a long time. Unless the admins block the IP, there'll be another outbreak.

18 minutes ago, JKK said:

Dream on. It's like coronavirus; it lives on surfaces for a long time. Unless the admins block the IP, there'll be another outbreak.

Call me a Cassandra, but IP blocking is unlikely to subdue our misguided friend for long. Precisely two clicks, in fact.

1 hour ago, Kirt said:

Call me a Cassandra, but IP blocking is unlikely to subdue our misguided friend for long. Precisely two clicks, in fact.

Takes brain cells. Did we see evidence of those?

4 hours ago, DWLange said:

Of the coins illustrated in this thread, the only one that appears to be a real variety is the 1958-D cent. It is a very minor RPM, one that oddly does not appear at the VarietyVista website:

Thanks David. So nit only damaged then. While NGC wouldn't attribute it, do you think it'd be worth sending to Variety Vista. 

@Kirt @JKK @kenlee47@kbbpll @Greenstang 

I am very happy about this. I may have said some things that made him feel bad but I went and looked and while I wasn't the most respectful, I wasn't a meanie either. I just deleted like 30 messages from him in my gmail! Gawd only knows how many more comments he made on my posts. So I did report him to an admin. Maybe it worked for a minute? We shall see. I am just glad that we can now make posts and comment on others posts without the needless interference OOHRAH!!!

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@Kirt @JKK @kenlee47@kbbpll @Greenstang 

I am very happy about this. I may have said some things that made him feel bad but I went and looked and while I wasn't the most respectful, I wasn't a meanie either. I just deleted like 30 messages from him in my gmail! Gawd only knows how many more comments he made on my posts. So I did report him to an admin. Maybe it worked for a minute? We shall see. I am just glad that we can now make posts and comment on others posts without the needless interference OOHRAH!!!

You're far too self-critical! Look, everyone has a bad day and responds tersely online. We know from experience not to take it personally. Besides, feeling a little bad about yourself enables growth - in most people.

Additionally, I take @JKK's point about brain cells to heart. Some folks are just impervious to logic, reason, or insult.lol

Edited by Kirt

8 hours ago, DWLange said:

Great to see DW check in. I think this 1958-D may someday be an NGC attributable variety, but they aren’t going to “get out ahead of” the researchers who do these as a specialty. They need to do it first and publish. Then, and only then, should NGC be asked to put it on a slab.