• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotational errors

7 posts in this topic

Hello, Is this something Common that the NGC would Highlight as an error. I recently had a 1913 Buffalo Nickel graded, I did not notice at the time but upon inspection today It is 30-40 % off rotation. There is nothing about that on the rating. Is that supposed to be the case? Thanks

1 hour ago, Premy said:

NGC will not specify this on label unless you will choice error(extra fees) option when submitting coin. 

And the 1913-1938 Nickel series has a common array of slight rotations that wouldn't be considered outside of the norm.  If you come across one rotated 90 degrees or more then it'll be interesting.

12 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

And the 1913-1938 Nickel series has a common array of slight rotations that wouldn't be considered outside of the norm.  If you come across one rotated 90 degrees or more then it'll be interesting.

Thanks for the replies. I was guessing that NGC would ignore it or it does not matter. I just was not sure. I am still relatively new at this but NGC customer service is not very good. I had sent in several coins that all came out of the same book. 2 of the came back as " altered color" and three were not. When I called for an explanation of what that exactly means they told me it is up to the "whim" of the grader. I never found that to reassuring. 

• Administrator

Dear Callinectes,

Altered color is a coin that has been treated in some way that changes it' color and general appearance cannot be graded numerically and is eligible for Details Grading only.  Most color alterations are performed through the application of chemicals, filler or heat.

In order for coins to be eligible for rotated die, it must be rotated more than 15%.  It must be substantial.

Thank you,

Lisa