• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1925 gold $2.50 coin question

6 posts in this topic

Hi, 

Definitely a newbie here...looked at examples of varies grades of this coin and don’t really understand how to even get a rough enough idea whether it would even be worth sending it in for grading. Just not understanding the subtle differences in the various grades of coins I guess. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

X

A9B7208A-49AF-42C1-A9AD-235DCEB4E74E.jpeg

EE8AA7AB-6673-46F9-8C78-6272EEF2B7C8.jpeg

I'd guess you're in a tough spot. On the one hand, Indian heads get faked often enough that people are rightly leery about buying them raw. On the other, if authentic, their value doesn't skyrocket between VF and MS. Coin World puts that range from $320-400, which we know is inflated. Melt is $203 right now if authentic. The grooving through the date does not look to me like damage (I saw some on other examples I looked at), but it does seem rather pronounced compared to others.

AU is probably a fair guess at the grade. I'd say AU-60 because I could see some dealers trying to pass it off as MS. I feel your pain because I recently had to look at a number of these, and the incuse design creates grading issues we don't have with most coins.

Of course, if you send it in, you will at least find out if it's real in return for your $30-60. It may only get a details grade. Either way, $30-60 is probably 10% of its value ceiling, so it's a valid question if the concern is economic.

Really hard to grade by the pics. Those are also not jewelry rings. I think the ring had something to do with the dies. There are others that can explain it better than I can. Here is my MS62 and you can see the ring around it. 

1910 2.50 Indian Head Gold NGC MS62.jpg

Are they the same coin in the OP's two photos? One is in a 2x2 and the other is not. Might have been in a compression-type bezel. Agree with others on authenticity and value.