• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 is this rare ddo

9 posts in this topic

Even with the fuzzy photo that you did not take time to rotate vertically, one can tell that's not a 55 DDO. The 1955 DDO is so blatant that even the newest collector would have zero doubt about it, so that's an easy spot.

4 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

1955 penny I think I it maybe ddo doubling  on date IN God We Trust and on liberty. .

Ok ty I'm just trying  to learn

13 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

Ok ty I'm just trying  to learn

Here's how you learn: your best method is to search for a real example and compare your coin. Take a look at this link. Notice that the doubling on the date, motto, and legend are so major that there's air between the images. If you do not find any images of a doubled die for a given issue, that's a fair tell that there are none known.

In that situation, one of two things is true. Either (99.9999% likely) you have not discovered a new one and your coin has mechanical doubling of some sort, or (0.0001% likely) you have, all these years later, discovered a doubled die that somehow over many decades, no one ever spotted despite armies of well-equipped cherrypickers looking at millions of examples.

I'd go with the 99+%, myself.

I wrote this mainly to encourage some of our regular novices (you know who you are) to stop and go searching for the real thing before asking. It's not that we mind people asking, but it's not especially fun always raining on people's parades. Sometimes we get less patient. If so, it's because--to use a metaphor--after the first several hundred times, we get a little fatigued of looking at losing lottery tickets where the person presenting it thinks they're winners, and we have to tell them nope.

Nobody likes being Captain Buzzkill on somebody's road to riches. JKK is right; learning to find known examples and comparing with your own is a good skill to develop, as is finding the resources to identify what is known already. It's a long and never-ending process. That said, the 0.0001% is achievable, particularly in overlooked series. Even a dolt like me has discovered, or at least documented, new transition varieties and an RPD in the Barber dimes. I think there are still plenty of RPDs etc in that series waiting to be documented. Lincoln cents, not likely. And beware of how the motivation for quick riches clouds people's judgement to the point of insanity. There's an example of this lunatic behavior on this forum right now.

Not the big money 55 DDO, there are several lesser doubled dies for this year, I don't know it it is one of those or not.

3 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Not the big money 55 DDO, there are several lesser doubled dies for this year, I don't know it it is one of those or not.

Ok ty