• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorting 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars?

9 posts in this topic

I have a stack of these (well, several stacks actually) and I'm wondering if there are any stand-out errors / varieties (aside from the "Heavily Accented Hair" version) that I should go hunting for? 

Seems like there's a small possibility of DDO or RPM, but even those have to be mid to high 60's to hold much value.. 

Anything I've overlooked (or a resource that I haven't found that would have details)? 

<edit>Maybe nevermind... found this on NGC (doh!) https://www.ngccoin.in/variety-plus/united-states/half-dollars/kennedy-half-dollars-1964-date/820389/ </edit>

Thanks

Edited by Thompson2

Follow on question to this - where can I find a description of the grades for these?  I know about Photograde, but I'm looking for text to supplement that so I'm looking for the right things.  I found a couple (so far) that seem like they're low to mid 60's grade which elevates them beyond bullion, but I don't know for sure.... and I don't want to flood the forum with pics of these.  I've only been through 1 partial roll and found 2 that may be worth saving and there are are about 8 more rolls to search.

Edited by Thompson2

56 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Follow on question to this - where can I find a description of the grades for these?  I know about Photograde, but I'm looking for text to supplement that so I'm looking for the right things.  I found a couple (so far) that seem like they're low to mid 60's grade which elevates them beyond bullion, but I don't know for sure.... and I don't want to flood the forum with pics of these.  I've only been through 1 partial roll and found 2 that may be worth saving and there are are about 8 more rolls to search.

https://www.coincommunity.com/us_coin_grading/half-dollar-kennedy.asp

https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/how_to_grade_half_dollars/

7 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Thanks!.  CoinCommunity has decent info.  funtimesguide only goes up to AU55 for some weird reason...doesn't make much sense to stop there for the Kennedys.. 

But it should get me started and I'll poke around for additional sources.  

On 6/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, Thompson2 said:

funtimesguide only goes up to AU55 for some weird reason

Because you really can't determine from pictures whether a coin is a MS or a high end AU.  The difference is very slight wear on the high points and the way to see that is to tip the coin back and forth letting the light play across the high points and watch for a color change.  You can't do that with a picture or a computer image.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Because you really can't determine from pictures whether a coin is a MS or a high end AU.  The difference is very slight wear on the high points and the way to see that is to tip the coin back and forth letting the light play across the high points and watch for a color change.  You can't do that with a picture or a computer image.

I can totally understand that angle and that'd make sense except that funtimes is just a text description of what to look for... maybe the difference is too slight to really even describe and just has to be seen?

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:59 AM, Conder101 said:

you really can't determine from pictures whether a coin is a MS or a high end AU

Get me a big ol' stone tablet n' some cuttin' tools. This needs to be available for posterity. I know lotsa guys think the Internet is a fine substitute for "live" numismatics, but it just ain't. Never a-gonna be, neither.

39 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Get me a big ol' stone tablet n' some cuttin' tools. This needs to be available for posterity. 

You should start a GoFundMe for that.  I'd kick in a buck or two, as long as I got pics of the work in progress... video would be preferred though.

So I've been through all 200-ish of these under a small microscope and unsurprisingly found nothing of interest.  I need to attempt to "grade" some I found that had really nice luster to see if maybe those are potential MS60+ to put in flips and set aside from the rest...  That'll be less straight forward, to say the least...  :D