• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1744 pillar dollar

5 posts in this topic

All the pictures that I can find show these being coined "medal-turn," - both sides facing the same direction - as opposed to "coin-turn" -the way your coin (and U.S. coins) are oriented. From the little that I have read,however, it appears some mints that produced these minted them coin-turn, or maybe both ways, so I can't say for sure if yours is an error, or if it was done intentionally. If someone has a copy of "Resplandores," more information may be in there. (Even though it is about Cap and Rays 8 Reales, which were minted in later years, it may have info on the minting processes used earlier.)

If it does not say "rotated die," or something similar, on the label, I would assume it is normal for that year and mint.

Edited by Just Bob

It is graded by NGC. Other coin of the same year are not rotated like that. But the coin is graded. Would it be possible for a counterfeit to pass NGC? Or like you said it might be an error either by mistake or intentional. The label doesn’t specify anything about that 

36 minutes ago, JChapa said:

It is graded by NGC. Other coin of the same year are not rotated like that. But the coin is graded. Would it be possible for a counterfeit to pass NGC? Or like you said it might be an error either by mistake or intentional. The label doesn’t specify anything about that 

While anything is possible in theory, if I were to submit a coin like this to NGC, I would have 100% confidence in their ability to detect a counterfeit.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

While anything is possible in theory, if I were to submit a coin like this to NGC, I would have 100% confidence in their ability to detect a counterfeit.

I hear you. I’m sure NGC wouldn’t make a mistake. I’m very intrigued to know why it’s rotated though.