• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Eagles

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering what are some of the outstanding characteristics a not authentic Indian Quarter Eagle would have. I've read a number of articles about this group of coins being a favorite target of counterfeiters. Are there any qualities a novice would be able to pick up on? I'm aware of the back of the neck as being an area that could show signs of tooling if someone was trying to pass off a fake. Of course, I'm asking as I have a 1914 D that I'm curious about? I understand that trying to authenticate a coin through photos is a very flawed process but I'll post a couple just the same. Also, is someone better off scanning a coin than trying to take a photo? I'm sure it probably depends on their skill level and the technology available to them. Either way, thanks for any comments. 

1914 Quarter Eagle.jpg

IMG_0722 .jpg

Hi res coin.JPG

Edited by Ziemba727

I apologize for not having the greatest photos. Different angle of light and it looks like different coin. Anyways, I wanted to provide some different close-ups.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 4.00.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 4.01.07 PM.png

Edited by Ziemba727

The first thing you do is weigh it. Then you compare it to images of slabbed real ones to see if it differs.

Good luck. I had two come back bogus during a recent liquidation, one quarter and one half eagle. Sucked with a mighty suckage.

39 minutes ago, Ziemba727 said:

Ouch I bet. Sorry to hear that.

Client was massively *spoon*ed, especially at whoever boned her dad by selling him phonies. Since I didn't get a fee, it also cost me a little money. Hope yours do better. My only consolation was that I had flagged both as "if genuine." The only reason they stood out to me was they looked unlike other examples, so that's the basis of the guidance as best I can offer.