• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first day of issue 1964 kennedy half

6 posts in this topic

It appears that RCTV is the only place to get them. $495 and graded "Choice BU", which is curious. There are others not from that mint bag though, given out to Congress with letters signed by Pres. Johnson (example here https://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/2020/04/17/off-topic-my-1964-p-first-day-issue-kennedy-half-dollar/).

So you pay $495.00 for one seems a bit expensive.  What does a normal 1964 graded coins generally sell for?  Just womdering, heck I might even own one but I usually dont retain the buy prices off hand.  TYIA

The first striking ceremony of the Kennedy half dollar was held February 11, 1964.

The first public release was March 24, 1964.

All of this was carefully planed and organized by the Federal Reserve, Treasury and Mint.

And all they have is one of the thousands of bags that was filled and sealed before the release date.  I don't know if they have ANY real evidence that that particular bag was released on the first day.  (Considering how many if not most banks were rationing them at first it is doubtful someone would get a full bag on that first day)  It could have been released months later.