• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1850 Coin

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what the approximate worth of an 1850 Coin.  A man is panning for gold and on the coin it says:  The Days of Old The Days of Gold The Days of Forty Nine.  I attached photos of the coin20200529_183333.thumb.jpg.3cc9c15a672a6c2599e87e57cfdf924d.jpg

20200529_183401.jpg

That's not a coin, it is a token.

It is known as a California Gold Rush Octagonal Slug and is made from brass. There were different variations made in the first half of the last century as a fascimile of the original. I think the value is around $50.00 but maybe one of our token experts can give a more accurate value.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

These were manufactured in the first part of the 20th century, up until 1950 or so, by Irvine & Jachens of San Francisco. They are listed in Jankovsky's Guide to Slugs and Facsimiles, along with similar pieces with different obverses or reverses. Yours is either J-140 or J-149, depending on the size .As is usual in the world of exonumia, value is generally dependant on who is buying at a particular time. There are a few uncirculated pieces on Ebay right now, listed at $265 to over $500, but remember: these are uncirculated, graded by NGC or ANACS, and are just asking prices - not "sold" prices.Yours, though in good shape, does not look uncirculated, so would not bring those prices.. I could not find an actual sold listing, so the "real life" price could very well be much less than those prices above. In fact, Greenstang's estimate of $50 is probably pretty close to what you might expect to get for it.