• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Bisognani: Roosevelt Dimes Worth the Time

6 posts in this topic

Jim state:

So, to put it bluntly, high-grade standard issue silver examples of this series are easy pickin’s!  Even the key date 1949-S reveals a monstrous 1,067 coins graded MS 67 (with an NGC Price Guide value of $80).

Interestingly, the lowest pop numbers for regular MS designation silver Roosevelts in MS 67 are as follows:       Are these low numbers only because these are inexpensive coins that collectors feel are not worth the expense of submitting to NGC?

MS 67 Census NGC Price Guide
1951-D 150 $80
1952 192 $80
1952-D 138 $50
1953 155 $60
1954-D 187 $110
1955-D 186 $50
1956-D 194 $35
1960-D 167 $80
1961-D 141

$75

If a coin is only worth $100, I'm not going to spend $35 to get it graded. I'm quite sure there are thousands and thousands of 67s in rolls and mint sets that just haven't been submitted because it isn't worth it. I'd wager that for many of the ones that ended up graded as 67, the submitter was thinking it was a 68 or a 67 FT. 

My rule of thumb is, its generally not worth it to submit a coin that is worth less than $300, unless there is some other reason I want it in a slab. For example, I've submitted inexpensive coins because I need them to complete my Registry set. Didn't make financial sense, but I did it anyways. 

14 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

My rule of thumb is, its generally not worth it to submit a coin that is worth less than $300, unless there is some other reason I want it in a slab. For example, I've submitted inexpensive coins because I need them to complete my Registry set. Didn't make financial sense, but I did it anyways. 

This may explain why the extremely low populations of MS66 1952, 3, & 4 Denver mint Washington Carvers are not more highly valued.  Collectors do not want to submit them for grading only to find out they are MS65s.

Yes, for the reason you received in your first reply.  Most collectors would rather spend their money on coins than grading fees.

The numbers are also noticeably higher if NGC and PCGS are combined.  For the 1952-D, PCGS has graded 161 with 134 FB.  So, either this year had a very good strike or fewer bother to submit coins they know won't receive the designation.

I don't consider around 300 MS-67 low or the prices low either considering how many actually likely exist.  Every date is likely an R1 (1250+) or at most an R2 (501-1250) on the Judd rarity scale.

Edited by World Colonial

In MS67, in this series a nice set can be assembled relatively easy. Throw  in the FT or FB designation and the complexion of the silver series changes completely. Look at actual auction and sales data and prices can go the moon. Find an MS68 with FT or FB and many issues bring well over the $1000. mark. Also keep in mind there is a lot of crossover that happens in this series so a lot of populations shown in FT and FB are not correct.

i think a very similar circumstance exists with Franklin halves as well. MS65 and MS66 sets can be assembled fairly easy. Add the FBL designation and look at prices in MS67 grades.