• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

where to sell old coins?

6 posts in this topic

I have 4 Indian Head pennies (1904 - 1908).  I also have many silver quarters (1964); silver Kennedy half dollars (1964-68); walking liberty half dollars; silver dimes; Franklin half dollars (1948-1963).  Too many to submit all pictures. 

I also have a few old Newfoundland coins: 1898 50 cent piece; 1949 half-penny; 1942 one cent; 1917 25 cent piece.

None of the old ones are in mint condition but would clean up well.  I am trying to learn more on how to sell them.  Any suggestions?

1898 Newf 50 cent front.jpg

1898 Newf 50 cent back.jpg

1949 half penny back.jpg

1904 penny back.jpg

1904 penny front.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

First, forget about cleaning them . That will ruin the numismatic value. 

The best place to sell circulated raw coins is probably Ebay. Do some research to determine value and condition, and take good pictures of both sides.

When you said "clean up well" I queased a little. Here's the best way I can put this, to amplify what JB said: if you want to make some of their value combust instantly, never to return to you, then clean them. If you'd prefer to have the most value, do not. It's like taking a random bill out of your wallet and burning it.

And please do not think "Well, I'll just do a little here and there; no one will know." Take it for gospel that potential buyers will indeed know, no matter how you do it.

Welcome, good advice above no need to clean or "improve" the coins you have just sell as is.  You can use the Coin Marketplace available here on these forums, its free to sell just provide clear in focus cropped photos and prices.  You will need to do some homework to determine the grade and price, this resource called Photograde is a very easy tool and as you can see your 1904 grades G08 worth around $1-$2.  Pricing is a bit tougher and searching Ebay completed sales will be the best way to ballpark a value.  From what you mentioned most if not all the US coins are of low value with the silver coins very close to the silver melt value.  Because of the low value I would sell the coins in groups, all the silver Washington qtrs as one group and so on.  It will be easier to sell that way and much easier for you when it comes to shipping.

The next avenue is Ebay, same as selling here group items with good photos and realistic prices. there are fees to sell there so not free.  The third option is to take everything to a local coin shop and see what the dealer will offer.  It will possibly be the lowest amount of money but you don't have to put in the time and work to list, ship etc.. and may end up being the best and fastest way to sell.

Best of luck.

Edited by Coinbuf

The 1898 Newfoundland 50 cent could be $10-50 depending on if it's a "small W". Take better pictures and post in US/World section or in the Canadian forum over on coincommunity.com. I think your 1949 half penny is UK, not Newfoundland, but very little value there.

16 hours ago, RDP1965 said:

I have 4 Indian Head pennies (1904 - 1908).  I also have many silver quarters (1964); silver Kennedy half dollars (1964-68); walking liberty half dollars; silver dimes; Franklin half dollars (1948-1963).  Too many to submit all pictures. 

If you're going to try to sell them online, you'll need high res, really in-focus pics of all of them anyway.  Might as well post them here (generically, not necessarily in this forum) to get a start.  If you have a bunch, I'd suggest getting a Red Book (most any coin shop or Amazon will have it for less than $20).  Then inventory what you've got by year and mint mark and see which ones may hold real value and start with those.