• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading confusion

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have just left the Ebay sight after looking for a 1928 P ms 64 or greater. I have to say I am sadly dissappointed with what I am seeing. I see both NGC and PCGS graded coins with CAC approval as well and IMO they are way off base (overgraded). Some have far more dings and scratches than I would apply to an AU graded coin. Others have what looks like carpet tack marks, fingerprints, etc. ICG is actually showing to be closer to the proper grade than what is currently being shown. Based on what I am seeing either these graders are blind or I need to stop wasting my money now.  Don't take my word for it, look for yourself. Easy to see with Ebay search. These coins are downright ugly!

1928-P....what ?   Saint-Gaudens 1928 (Philadelphia)? 

There's so many 1928's out there, there's wide variability particularly in the lower grades below MS65.

In every TPG brand of plastic you can find, undergraded gems, overgraded dogs, and right for the grade coins.  Grading is not a science it is an opinion; and opinions are subject to the feelings of the graders on that one day and might very well change on any other day.  As a buyer you have to decide what fits your definition of the grade you seek and find an example that fits your eye and definition.  Also Ebay is somewhat of a dumping ground for a large percentage of coins listed there.  I'm not saying that you cannot find nice attractive coins on Ebay, but often; always for some coins types; you have to sift through lots of garbage to find what you want.

I run across the same thing. I guess my opinion on what looks bad is different than some. Bad or lots of scratches on the cheeks and face, a hairlipped indian from a hard bagmark, deep clunkers in the clean part of the fields. I have been running across a lot of PCGS indian eagles in the lower ms grades ie" 61-62-63 that look like someone took a hammer and screwdriver to them. At 64 it straightens out somewhat. At least by my eyes. I even seen a 1908s that was graded 65 and the eagle was almost missing an entire foot. There is only 56k of those ever made so maybe they have to be a little more lenient that year I guess. Who knows. It all subjective anyway. I have a 32 in ms65 that I guess the guy must have been in a bad mood that day. I do know one thing I'm not paying any premium for any supposed other brand of plastic as I don't see a reason to warrant that yet. That is one reason I joined here. Seems more consistent across all the grades for the most part for what I collect, even if I don't agree or they give the coin all she's got.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I'm kinda funny like that.

Edited by cowbaby

Everyone that has replied, I thank you. I also think a person should buy the coin not the holder. That being said I do use EBay to locate resources of Numismatic coin dealers who have Inventories not posted to EBay due to their fees. Have found a better selection of high ends by doing that. I have collected for years and it is a passion of mine. I get disturbed when I see it becoming more about the money than the fair assessment of a piece of history.  Thanks again