• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 silver dime?

11 posts in this topic

So ive been trying to look up what a 1966 silver dime would look like but i guess they never made one thats silver in 1966? Not even proof sets that year so would that make a 1966 silver dime something specail?

It would; they switched to clad in 1965 with silver proofs re-introduced in 1992. If you think you have a silver dime, check the weight - it should be 2.5g. Clad coins are lighter. I don't offhand know if the post 92 proofs are the same weight as the pre-64 strikes but those should be readily identifiable.

To help further, try to get clear pictures of both sides of the coin and crop them so the coin is the majority of the image.

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

That isn't the copper core showing at 9:00 to 12:00 in the obverse picture?

It most certainly is. OP, it's a normal dime so heavily worn as to have worn off the cladding in spots. Value $0.10.

Welcome to the Forum CoinDaddyBoss

Out of curiosity, whatever made you think that was made of silver? Especially since the last business strike was minted in 1964.

34 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum CoinDaddyBoss

Out of curiosity, whatever made you think that was made of silver? Especially since the last business strike was minted in 1964.

I suspect that from his picture he thinks its silver because there is no copper core showing along the edge as it does for the other two dimes.  To the op, it is not uncommon for the outer clad layer to cover the edge of small coins like dimes, as others have said you have a regular 1966 dime worth $.10.