• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some ideas/ opinions for collectible type coins.

7 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Can people share their opinions as to what a good gold collectible coin might be? Obviously the super expensive and rarest 

will go up in value over the next 30 years, but are there any that are more reasonably priced coins? Like $1500 or so? 

Or just any type of coins in general? Ancients? Fractals? 10 dollar Indian Heads? Really do not know.  Thank you

First: I'd buy a slabbed, non-problem US coin. Gold coins can get faked.

Putting aside the modern bullion stuff, and figuring that $20s are off the table (all are above $1500 even at melt), you have to ask whether you want to buy it for the metal or for the numismatic premium. That may seem a weird question, but it matters a lot because a great many perfectly good gold coins aren't that rare and get sold for neighborhood of melt. Most of them are larger. What I would do is use Coinflation to compare the melt value to the market prices on Numismedia (inflated but not unhelpful), and look at the disparity. I'd also look at the grade columns on Numismedia to see at what grade the value curve goes nuts.

Obviously, when there is a huge disparity between market prices and bullion price, you're buying the collectible premium. If you want your purchase to be less subject to metal market fluctuations, go for a coin with a large numismatic premium. Of course, there being no free lunches, it's then subject to numismatic supply and demand. But the point is that when you buy a dinky 1852 $1 in MS-61 at Numismedia's $330, or even at some reasonable fraction of that like $280-300, $84 is for the metal and the other $200-odd is the numismatic premium. If you buy a 1911 $10 in AU-50 for $1090, or at something like $880-930, $840 buys the gold. Not much premium.

Choose your risk category and preference. Those sites provide you plentiful data by which to assess this.

Coins are a poor investment unless you have exceptional grading skills to spot the under graded/under valued coins or lots of blind luck.  Nobody can predict what coin or metal will increase or decrease in value over the next ten days much less the next 30 years.  As an example in the late 1980's classic commemorative coins were super popular and the prices were sky high, fast forward to today and those coins are not popular and those coins now sell for about 1/3 of what they were 30 years ago.  Same thing for toned coins, thirty years ago toned coins were shunned by most collectors and sold for less than bright white coins, today toned coins go for multiples of what many bright white examples fetch.  Coin and metal markets change all the time and there is no way of knowing what the market  will want in thirty years.

True that gold coins are always in demand but gold is not really rare in a true sense and gold prices are in constant flux.  I would not suggest buying at todays $1,700 per ounce prices (keep in mind that just a year ago gold was selling for $1,100 an ounce) unless you have some inside info that you know the price will continue to rise over the next 30 years.  I have no idea where gold prices will go from here, prices could stabilize and $1,700 an ounce may become the new norm, or prices could go higher or lower.  In a thirty year time span you might see all three price possibilities, level, up to $4,000 an ounce, down to $500 an ounce, no way to know.

Buying coins is a hobby where you buy them for their beauty and history, if your able to make some money when the time comes to sell that's a nice bonus but shouldn't be expected.  If you want a gold coin then I would look for a key date coin like the 1911-D indian head $2.5 gold coin or another key date gold or silver coin that you find attractive.  Key date coins have the best (not 100%) chance of holding and/or appreciating in value over time.

Edited by Coinbuf

OP please do what coinbuf mentioned.....don't buy coins as an investment. Buy numismatic coins because you like the history and design of it. The bonus is that they usually have some value.

I have many coins and I will lose out on $$$$ when it comes down to selling in the future but I didn't buy them for that purpose. I enjoy them and they are much better than me wasting money on other things.

I should have been more specific in my original post. Collecting is for fun to me. I guess I was just asking relatively speaking, if any of the gold coins have a more inherent value beyond melt for rarity etc. that aren't super expensive to buy when prices are more reasonable? 

I'm thinking of an uncirculated $10 Indian Head coin. I really like that coins style. Maybe I answered my own question here.

Thanks very much for your response. 

The $10 Indian Head gold coin is a great looking coin and you should be able to find a nice MS62 or MS63 in your price range.  As an example I see that Great Collections has a very nice looking 1915 (type 4) $10 Indian gold coin PCGS graded MS63 with a starting bid of $1,100.  I would suggest looking for a CAC verified example to help maximize the value but that is your call.