• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a general rule (%ages) for price list/private/ebay/Apmex/dealer sales?

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to be selling a collection soon and I'm curious if there's any predictability.

Say that there are three coins showing at $200, $1000, and $5000 on the NGC price list:
1) Am I correct to conclude that this is derived from some sort of computerized analysis of recent sales, presumably on Ebay or elsewhere?  Or is that limited to dealer reports, a la the Kelley Blue Book?

2) What is the usual relationship between NGC price and sale price on NGC forums

3) What %age do most dealers tend to pay

4) Is it even worth talking to APMEX or do they simply exit to low-ball foolish people by offering melt value

5) is there a simple and reasonably accurate price site anywhere--even if it requires a paid subscription--which will search and display straightforward information from multiple sites at once, for example listing "ebay 6 month median", "ebay 6 month mean," NGC Price Guide," and other sources all at once?  Bonus points if it will also include some sort of registry or database.

1. Don't know. I doubt it is updated very often, but I don't know.
  2. Retail maybe 70-75% might be realistic.
  3. Dealer will give you maybe 50%. Less if you annoy them.
  4. APMEX is a precious metals dealer. If you take collectible coins there, don't be surprised if they think mainly of the metal.
  5. Not that I'm aware of. You will have to do your own homework, I suspect.

1) I believe the guide is compiled from auction results, I'm not sure what auction sites and while it is updated only NGC knows how frequently it is updated.

2) Tough to generalize as quality and desirability of the coins, and the small number of eyeballs that see the BST forum are big factors.  I don't think the BST prices are much lower than what could be realized from another venue (maybe 10-25% less than Ebay as an example), but the small number of people that see the threads limits the possible sales.

3) For common coins many dealers will use the bluesheet (the bluesheet and graysheet is a paid subscription that dealers can buy and is similar to your Kelly blue book thought) as a guide for offer/buy prices on common coins.  For Better date, more desirable, and eye appealing coins some dealers will get closer to retail especially if they have a ready buyer/buyers for that material.

4) What JKK said.

5) The greysheet is what some dealers use to price common coins.  For collectors the best source is to look at Heritage (Heritage Auctions) and Ebay closed auctions for guidance on what items are selling for.  You will see a bell curve for most coins and grades with the outliers being the superb and the dog examples at each end of the curve.

At the end of the day what you have to sell and to how is key to realized price.  A dealer needs to buy at 60-70% of retail to make money, selling to a dealer is the fastest way to sell coins but you will most likely receive the least amount.  Consigning to auction houses may or may not result in a better return but there are fees involved.  Selling yourself should net the biggest return but will require the most time to research, list, ship, etc.

51 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

1) I believe the guide is compiled from auction results, I'm not sure what auction sites and while it is updated only NGC knows how frequently it is updated.

2) Tough to generalize as quality and desirability of the coins, and the small number of eyeballs that see the BST forum are big factors.  I don't think the BST prices are much lower than what could be realized from another venue (maybe 10-25% less than Ebay as an example), but the small number of people that see the threads limits the possible sales.

3) For common coins many dealers will use the bluesheet (the bluesheet and graysheet is a paid subscription that dealers can buy and is similar to your Kelly blue book thought) as a guide for offer/buy prices on common coins.  For Better date, more desirable, and eye appealing coins some dealers will get closer to retail especially if they have a ready buyer/buyers for that material.

4) What JKK said.

5) The greysheet is what some dealers use to price common coins.  For collectors the best source is to look at Heritage (Heritage Auctions) and Ebay closed auctions for guidance on what items are selling for.  You will see a bell curve for most coins and grades with the outliers being the superb and the dog examples at each end of the curve.

At the end of the day what you have to sell and to how is key to realized price.  A dealer needs to buy at 60-70% of retail to make money, selling to a dealer is the fastest way to sell coins but you will most likely receive the least amount.  Consigning to auction houses may or may not result in a better return but there are fees involved.  Selling yourself should net the biggest return but will require the most time to research, list, ship, etc.

This is a very good summation for your questions.  The biggest factor is probably the amount of time you want to put into the effort. See my PM. 

4 hours ago, Hammarlund said:

5) is there a simple and reasonably accurate price site anywhere

I use NumisMedia and compare with the major TPG price guides, examine the "recent" sales under the grade on the TPG sites (they're frequently not very recent), search auction archives at Heritage (HA), and sometimes ebay. I might closely examine some results on HA when I see coins that sold substantially higher at a lower grade, or lower at a higher grade, to figure out why. Then I might even average half a dozen or so of what I find. But I'm a one-coin-at-a-time purchaser, so that's a lot of work if you're selling a large collection.