• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Lincoln Skinny Neck
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Just found this neat Cent. Thought I’d share it to see what anyone thinks. His neck outline seems well defined but definitely thinner than comparable 83’s. 

D744218D-E84D-4567-AE04-13942477F8E1.jpeg

I found online one other link about this same type of Cent. However, the guy’s 1983 Cent was so badly corroded that it was not easily visible. Fortunately my coin is very clean even though it is brown. Over polishing is definitely a plausible answer. It’s just odd at how defined the neck line is and the bow tie is intact. Just not sure what to think of this one.  

I have seen at least one other example of this and die polishing is the logical explanation.  Notice that a portion of the coat under the bow tie is also missing, must have been a bad clash or perhaps a small section of the die broke off.

I've seen quite a few pointy-chinned Lincolns post-82; always chalked it up to strong strikes. I guess I better take a second look.

Hello everyone and thank you for your replies and input. I am no expert and I am still learning here. One question... in the field area below the chin, next to and around the bow tie and neck, there is very good definition if you will notice. Can someone please inform me what these tiny horizontal lines are called?  Would all of these line be considered die scratches? Thanks. 

I'm seeing different things every time I look at it, like staring at changing clouds. Show a different picture of the obverse Greg, if you would, a slight angle, maybe edit the color or lighting a little.  It's an interesting little find you have there. Every year my cheeks, chin, and neck seem to get thinner. Yep, that's an old man neck, he needs to hold his chin up a little higher and that chicken neck will go away.

Hello Ronnie and thank you for your response. I will surely take some more pics of the obverse in different light and then some of the reverse just for reference . It’s definitely a “chicken neck” as you stated. It’s no doubt an odd coin and nothing that has been tampered with as you can see from the die striations (if I’m saying that correctly) directly in front of the neck. I’ve ran this coin by several numismatic  friends, not associated with this forum, and they are clueless on this coin. Just trying to figure out what I have here. I know it’s not a “retirement 43 copper”  but I just need some input. Let me just say that I entirely appreciate everyone’s input on ANYTHING I post!!!  I would never “step on anyone’s toes” so to speak. I am open to any and all comments, suggestions, criticism (hopefully not:) regarding this oddity. Thanks.

Detail has been removed from the shallow areas of the die. The logical explanation is die polishing, as has been stated by several others.

The several numismatic friends that you have, and are not associated with this forum, and are clueless, then they should read this thread. The half dozen or so people that help us on these newbie questions, they're bad to the bone, know their stuff. What one doesn't say, the next will, and so on. They're really a think tank problem solving group that know each other, and we're lucky to have them. There's no use on 'trying to figure out' what you have here, they've already said it. Take it to the bank. -- Later G....

Totally clear on that Ronnie 👍. I can see, and have learned, that these folks on this forum know their stuff and I truly appreciate their input and advice. I’ve said that numerous times before and I really mean it. These guys are true professionals and I would NEVER argue with them. I guess in my learning and coin searching process I can get a bit frustrated when I think I’ve found something but it turns out to be nothing. I’ve come to the realization that “ya can’t make something out of nothing.......“.  I know that so very well as a retired Detective and need to apply that mentality to my coin searching as well. Thanks again for all the replies, please don’t “blacklist” me 😁 and I look forward to working with you all in the future on this forum. You folks are a true wealth of knowledge.  Have a great Memorial Day, remember our Troops and God Bless!!

-Greg

What they did to that area is pretty crazy. Might be interesting to find another one, but searching for one die out of 7.75 billion coined might take a while.

1982_cent_neck.jpg

Alright Greg, I've looked at it enough. I want it. We might do some trading or something. I'll msg you in a few weeks, see how you feel about it after some time. He looks stressed, war does that to presidents.   Edit: I've got a 1931 S Lincoln that you...., never mind, talk to u later...... 

Edited by ronnie stein