• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Items associated with your collection

14 posts in this topic

What sort of stuff do you mean? Like packaging materials, promotional materials around the release? 

Or do you mean contemporary artwork or artefacts? 

I personally am mostly a coin collector, I don't usually get the paraphernalia surrounding the coin. But, if you're making a display showcase, that sort of thing can really bring it to life. 

I bought a few old Charlton guides from the 50s, 60s, 80s just to see how Canadian coin prices and designations changed. That's all I can think of. Just the coins is enough for me.

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

What sort of stuff do you mean? Like packaging materials, promotional materials around the release? 

Or do you mean contemporary artwork or artefacts? 

I personally am mostly a coin collector, I don't usually get the paraphernalia surrounding the coin. But, if you're making a display showcase, that sort of thing can really bring it to life. 

Just interested in what others collect that is associated with their collection.

the below is just a couple of items that are associated with my sovereign collection.

Sovereign and half sovereign balance, weights and a gentlemans sovereign holder:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Zebo

I wish Bill Jones were still posting here, I've seen his posts that include political Americana tied to numismatic materials. I collected all sorts of Lincolniana when I was an avid Lincoln cent collector, but sold it off when I got back into US federal type. Sold the cents since then too. Love the sovereign tie-ins posted above! I collect Jean Dassier et fils medals and am looking for one of their watch cases or snuff boxes, assuming I can afford one if I ever find an example. 

Reminder - those are Mehl's buying prices. He was buying double eagles for less than $35/T ounce bullion and ripping off anyone ignorant enough to send him an 1860-O or 1861-O DE for $25. His full name was B. Max "Me" Mehl. He was an avid promoter of collecting coins for his fun and profit, and no more honest than Farran Zerbe and other selected fraudsters.

Edited by RWB

40 minutes ago, RWB said:

Reminder - those are Mehl's buying prices. He was buying double eagles for less than $35/T ounce bullion and ripping off anyone ignorant enough to send him an 1860-O or 1861-O DE for $25. His full name was B. Max "Me" Mehl. He was an avid promoter of collecting coins for his fun and profit, and no more honest than Farran Zerbe and other selected fraudsters.

Who were some coin dealers from the 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's who had good reputations for paying fair prices and not ripping off someone whose coins might be more valuable than they thought ?  Any names come to mind ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

If that book was published in 1954...and he was offering to buy (sell ?) 1930-32 Saints for only $100, that is really a ripoff.  And like Roger said, he's buying numismatic coins with $33.86 worth of gold for $30, and that doesn't take into account the numismatic value.

Mehl died in 1957, BTW.

3 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Anyone collect coin glass?

Only when I can drink the Scotch and get to see the picture at the glass' bottom.....

:)