• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will NGC grade certain "dateless" Buffalo Nickels?

5 posts in this topic

Please see attached image that I found on another forum.  It shows characteristics that are apparently unique to certain year Buffalo Nickels.

My question: Will NGC assign a year to a "dateless" Buffalo Nickel based on this information and grade the coin?  If not, why not?

My son recently found a Buffalo Nickel while coin roll hunting that has a visible "S" mintmark, but the date is worn well beyond recognition.  The obverse has the "Hair Detail" and "Wavy Ribbon" shown in the attached image, which would indicate the coin is a 1921 mintage.

Please let me know NGC's policy about this.

Thanks.

8387858217_458ed21bcf_c.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC will not certify any dateless Buffalo Nickels, nor will it certify ones with dates restored by acid.

Thank you.  So should I presume that the unique details for specific years identified in the image I posted are not universally accepted among third-party grading services and/or the coin community at large?  I'm a newbie when it comes to Buffalo Nickels so appreciate any insight that NGC or others can provide on this topic.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Dateless coins won't be certified at all, and the diagnostics illustrated are not relevant to that situation.