• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheat pennies

13 posts in this topic

Hard to give any value when you only show a blurry photo of one side and half a coin on the other. If you want someone to give you a value, a clear full  picture of both sides of the coin are required. We have to be able to see the detail on the coin.

Also if you were to crop your photos, you would be able to increase the size.

Edited by Greenstang
Add copy

1 hour ago, l.cutler said:

Picture is not very good, but the coin looks like it has been cleaned?  If so that would really hurt the value.

From the price guide and the apparent grade of the 1910, it's only worth 25-50 cents anyway.

38 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

From the price guide and the apparent grade of the 1910, it's only worth 25-50 cents anyway.

True for sure, but cleaning sure won't help it!

Please never clean a coin again, but please especially never let vinegar touch a coin again. I know of no circumstance where that would be a good idea.

The bad news that the 1910 you have in your photo is now ruined by your attempt to clean it.  The good news is it wasn't valuable (maybe worth $.50 prior to the cleaning) so you haven't lost much.  If you have any other old coins please do not attempt to improve them, you will do more harm than good.  While you may have read on the internet or watched a video on utube that told you every old coin is valuable, that information is misleading.  Many old coins are valuable but a great many are worth $1 or less.

Thank u.I read everywhere that vinegar and water cannot hurt a copper penny.apparently they are full of .that makes me sad that I ruined my oldest penny but I do still have my steel 1943 penny lol.I'm really interested in pennies.I thought that it was way too much for me to remember every type of coin and every error but I stuck to pennies for some reason.they're more interesting

Pennies are great to collect. All the more reason to treat them kindly. Vinegar is a dilute acid, specifically acetic acid, which will attack copper.

18 hours ago, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u.I read everywhere that vinegar and water cannot hurt a copper penny.apparently they are full of .that makes me sad that I ruined my oldest penny but I do still have my steel 1943 penny lol.I'm really interested in pennies.I thought that it was way too much for me to remember every type of coin and every error but I stuck to pennies for some reason.they're more interesting

There's (unfortunately) a lot of bad advice out there. I've heard the same said of toothpaste, Drano, borax, ketchup, baking soda, aluminum foil, green rose thorns, dish soap, and any number of concoctions marketed directly at coin collectors. But look at it this way - you're in the company of a good number of historical collectors, as well as a lot of us here who tried some things before realizing it's a bad idea to clean coins. Besides, it's not like you did it to an extremely valuable coin - I know it's your oldest but it's also no big deal. I hope you rinsed it thoroughly - if not, do that right away - and keep it.