• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tomaska Die Varieties
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have two (2) 1957 Franklin half dollar proof coins. How do I distinguish the Franklin half dollars with the Tomaska die. I read that NGC offers a variety attribution for the 1957 Franklin proof. If I have this coin will NGC add that variety identifier to the label?  

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Any Franklin proof may be submitted to NGC for attribution of the Tomaska number. Of course, if the coin isn't at least Cameo it's unlikely to be assigned a number.

You may submit your coins for grading at the Modern Tier fee and check the VarietyPlus box for the T number attribution. Be certain to indicate that it's this T number you're seeking, so we will know what to look for.

Thank you. I am not familiar with this attribution so I am unsure what T number it is. The coin I intend on submitting is a proof but not cameo. If I remember correctly there are T designations for non cameo proofs is this correct? Since I have no way of knowing the T number do I have to add it or can I simply request variety plus? 

Edited by James P. ONeill Jr.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These numbers refer to the color photos found in Rick Tomaska's book on Cameo Proofs of the 1950-70 period. They reveal differing degrees of frostiness on the coins illustrated.