• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a die crack?

8 posts in this topic

Hey all, wondering if this is a die crack or not? I did look on coinworld website to read and try understand more about a die crack vs a cud...however, being very new to this; I can say I’ve got no idea 😂.  Any assistance or reading material about it would be great.

BBF2AFFE-80C4-4DCE-80ED-6658348FBF17.jpeg

CB78FDD8-CBD8-4B12-A742-CF2A308EBEE7.jpeg

D4C45A71-D9BB-4E21-8E82-C2EDDCF6A260.jpeg

Yes, that is a die crack. A die crack will be raised.. If it is incuse, then it would probably be a scratch.

It can't be a cud as a cud involves the rim where a portion of the Die has broken off.

8 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Yes, that is a die crack. A die crack will be raised.. If it is incuse, then it would probably be a scratch.

It can't be a cud as a cud involves the rim where a portion of the Die has broken off.

Awesome, thanks! Would it add any value to this? I read some die cracks can..otherwise I’m thinking this is just an AU coin.

This is a pretty common type of die cracking in my experience. If I had to guess, something about the stars must have tended to stress the die metal in such a way that the crack followed their arc. I wonder whether there are any surviving data about dies that broke completely, and how often that happened along the stars.

I don't think it helps or hurts the coin, especially given the date.

Die Cracks are quit common on Morgans, especially around the circumference, probably due to as JKK stated, a stress point around the stars. I can't see this adding any value unless it was an extreme crack or retained cud.

Want to have some fun? There are a gazillion VAMs for this year and mint mark. Go to VAMWorld and see if you can figure out which one yours is. (Hint: First determine if it has a 16 berry or 17 berry reverse. That will narrow your choices considerably. And, disregard everything below the "Formerly Listed" heading. Those numbers are not valid anymore.Reading that will only cause confusion.)

LINK HERE - Good luck!

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Want to have some fun? There are a gazillion VAMs for this year and mint mark. Go to VAMWorld and see if you can figure out which one yours is. (Hint: First determine if it has a 16 berry or 17 berry reverse. That will narrow your choices considerably. And, disregard everything below the "Formerly Listed" heading. Those numbers are not valid anymore.Reading that will only cause confusion.)

LINK HERE - Good luck!

Challenge accepted...