• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed labels

25 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone, it's been a while since I had a question but I was curious about the hand signed labels. Are the signatures on each label a live signature? Meaning they are hand written. By a real person on each label individually? I know this question seems very basic but I bought a signed slab from pcgs a w quarter and was curious about it.

Dr. S

Generally no in fact I'm not aware of any signed label where each and every label was individually signed, on some occasions the signatory might do a signing event at a show but those signatures are on the outside of the slab not on the slab label. 

Actually, at least some of NGC's Signature labels are individually hand signed, including those signed by coin designer Glenda Goodacre, astronaut Clayton Anderson, sports stars Joe Theismann and Cal Ripken, Jr., and Numismatic author Jeff Garrett. And, let's not forget William Shatner - AKA Captain James Tiberius Kirk.

In fact, here is a picture of Chief Engraver John Mercanti signing a page of labels:

Mercanti_signing.jpg

Obviously,  the proof is in the pudding right? I noticed small detail differences in several different signatures by the same person(this would statistically be untrue if it was created by a mechine) and shown above clearly indicates the labels are hand signed by the actual person.

Hi all!  I have another newbie question as a follow up to OP's question.

Is there anyway to tell how many labels a person has signed?  Or at least how many signed labels exist for a specific coin/grade?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Artlicious said:

Hi all!  I have another newbie question as a follow up to OP's question.

Is there anyway to tell how many labels a person has signed?  Or at least how many signed labels exist for a specific coin/grade?

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. There is usually a drop down menu for particular coins that have multiple signatures in the population reports (Census). Sometimes it gets a little hard to navigate, but if you look at it enough, it will tell you general populations by label and signature. 

E68B7AB3-405A-490E-ADE2-A05CEB7E295D.jpegYou want to look for this symbol with the little circles under the coin you are looking up. Hope this helps.

95B5D855-5260-4B3F-A74E-461BFD3A4C95.jpeg

Edited by Lem E

Thanks Lem E. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I saw that Shatner signed some NGC labels, I'm a huge Star Trek fan.  Is there anyway to tell how many NGC label he has signed in total?

thanks again!

Interesting, a search by label function could be a good idea. Especially it they keep churning them out. 

I remember this label, I thought it was a special label for MCM (I think GovMint and LPM are affiliated with MCM), I can remember at least 4 coins this label was used on. 

I can't find that label in the census, but if you search a cert #, with that label, on NGC Verify it will pull up the population for that coin/label, click on the population and it takes you to the census but the Shatner label is not displayed. The Trouble with Tuvalu? (shrug)

Being an IOM collector one of my favorites was always The Gamesters of Triskelion. 

6 hours ago, Artlicious said:

PF70 grade without a signature label or PF69 grade with a signature label?  

Don't know but why take the chance, wait to get or get a signed 70.

21 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Interesting, a search by label function could be a good idea. Especially it they keep churning them out. 

I remember this label, I thought it was a special label for MCM (I think GovMint and LPM are affiliated with MCM), I can remember at least 4 coins this label was used on. 

I can't find that label in the census, but if you search a cert #, with that label, on NGC Verify it will pull up the population for that coin/label, click on the population and it takes you to the census but the Shatner label is not displayed. The Trouble with Tuvalu? (shrug)

Being an IOM collector one of my favorites was always The Gamesters of Triskelion. 

Don't know but why take the chance, wait to get or get a signed 70.

"Trouble with Tuvalu" .. I love it!

When I look up this coin, see below, it doesn't show a count for the coins with a Shatner label.  Is there anyway to find out how any of these have the Shatner signature labels?  I actually just bought one, so I was curious. :) 

ps.. I'm still very new to this site and learning how to navigate..

Tuvalu Varieties
2016P TUVALU STAR TREK - HIGH RELIEF S$1 PF

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/tuvalu/sc-319/s1/varieties/790233/

8 hours ago, Artlicious said:

When I look up this coin, see below, it doesn't show a count for the coins with a Shatner label.  Is there anyway to find out how any of these have the Shatner signature labels?  I actually just bought one, so I was curious. :) 

ps.. I'm still very new to this site and learning how to navigate..

Tuvalu Varieties
2016P TUVALU STAR TREK - HIGH RELIEF S$1 PF

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/tuvalu/sc-319/s1/varieties/790233/

If you have a specific cert# and look it up in Verify NGC Certification it will give you a count for the label. Example 4259512-235 PF70 https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4259512-235/70/ 

Uljoijntitled.thumb.png.7664e214d3bea66a52d380323ad10c3a.png

The count for the Shatner labels is not visible if you are searching the census for some reason.

4 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

The count for the Shatner labels is not visible if you are searching the census for some reason.

That is what I wanted to know.  Of the 324 PF70's, how many have the Shatner label.  100, 50, fewer?  It would be good to know, from a collector's standpoint.  Why wouldn't they(NGC) keep track of that?

13 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That is the count for the Shatner label, in PF70

Untitljhiulhed.png.6f39ccabc601b5235f347f9ddc33c5fa.png

I'm guessing all the ER's are Shatner labels. 

4394954-366 - 2016P Tuvalu Star Trek Proof - PF70 - Shatner Label - 2,743 in PF 70 UC

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4394954-366/70/

4395037-300 - 2016P Tuvalu Star Trek Proof - PF70 - No Shatner Label - 2,743 in PF 70 UC

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4395037-300/70/

I've seen others in this Tuvalu series, w/ the Shatner label that show the same thing..  maybe I'm not reading it correctly.  But how do I tell how many have the Shatner label, it's not all 2,743?

50 minutes ago, Artlicious said:

I've seen others in this Tuvalu series, w/ the Shatner label that show the same thing..  maybe I'm not reading it correctly.  But how do I tell how many have the Shatner label, it's not all 2,743?

You're right, not all of the 2,743 are signed labels, if that's the case there is no way of knowing for sure. 

You could post in the Ask NGC section and see if you can get an answer. It might be an oversite or error on the site that can be corrected. 

31 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

You're right, not all of the 2,743 are signed labels, if that's the case there is no way of knowing for sure. 

You could post in the Ask NGC section and see if you can get an answer. It might be an oversite or error on the site that can be corrected. 

I'll do that, thanks for the advice.  I do want to know.

Posted: 

Thanks!

Edited by Artlicious

Well it's been 2 weeks since I asked my question about the Star Trek signature labels and nobody has even responded yet.  My post still hasn't even been approved by a mod.. what's with that?

On 5/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, Mathguy1986 said:

Hello again everyone, it's been a while since I had a question but I was curious about the hand signed labels. Are the signatures on each label a live signature? Meaning they are hand written. By a real person on each label individually? I know this question seems very basic but I bought a signed slab from pcgs a w quarter and was curious about it.

Dr. S

Wether all or some of them are, which some are definitely hand signed, you must keep in mind when sending a coin off for grading that you cannot get a coin graded with a signature label unless you are a authorized dealer. You may know that already but if not it might save you some time and money. Especially if you only want a coin to come back with a Signature label.

[The one thing I otherwise would have never found out re Signed Labels is Chief Engraver John Mercanti was a southpaw.  Simply amazing.]