• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see anything like this 1968-S WOW

18 posts in this topic

That's my suspicion as well. Replated before undergoing circulation. It could be a loose proof, I suppose, but something doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Is that the right colour? Looks like it may be plated.

I think its just the lighting, looks like an average 68-S proof Lincoln to me worth about $5 or so.

onno, its more than lighting 

I had 2 to 10 pennies out of the same coins just grade ms-68 ANACS.  this pales them by

the likelihood is gold plating I'm thinking now

The last images do look like a normal proof to me. I don't know how you obtained it, but my understanding is that some collectors buy a set but are only interested in one of the proofs and just spend the other small denominations.

13 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

The last images do look like a normal proof to me. I don't know how you obtained it, but my understanding is that some collectors buy a set but are only interested in one of the proofs and just spend the other small denominations.

+1

The reverse may be cameo but not the obverse.  So trying to sell it might take longer than necessary if you bought the proof set just for one of the other coins included.

That is a normal proof coin,  The rev does show a little cameo but it would not get graded as such because 1 it isn't cameo enough, and 2 it has to be cameo on both sides to get the designation.

After looking at this coin you can see why we get frustrated with all the people that come around with normal business strike 1990 cents, 1968, or 75 dimes and ask if it is the rare "No S" variety.  If it doesn't look like the one that you have it is NOT a proof and in is not the "No S".  Sorry rant has nothing to do with you, just needed to say it.

That is a normal proof coin,  The rev does show a little cameo but it would not get graded as such because 1 it isn't cameo enough, and 2 it has to be cameo on both sides to get the designation.

After looking at this coin you can see why we get frustrated with all the people that come around with normal business strike 1990 cents, 1968, or 75 dimes and ask if it is the rare "No S" variety.  If it doesn't look like the one that you have it is NOT a proof and in is not the "No S".  Sorry rant has nothing to do with you, just needed to say it.

I humbly disagree, its not just another proof  Here a nice proof CAM with it   its more mirror finish

Off to grade tomorrow.

Whe2030803843_20200514_0202441.thumb.jpg.51d78016f7a3712cf6809f78dc5a8433.jpgre I got it?  Indiana    A dealer collection pillaged by family  It sat for 11 years  Now its mine and I am liquidating many coins  he collected error coins and interesting things.

I see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, just a normal proof.  There are differences in cameo and surfaces in proof coins, especially after they have been around for a number of years.

9 hours ago, Kevine84 said:

its not just another proof

What are you thinking/hoping it will say on the slab, if it isn't "just another proof"? I'm curious.

22 hours ago, kbbpll said:

What are you thinking/hoping it will say on the slab, if it isn't "just another proof"? I'm curious.

I'm sure you are right. so that will be my basis. 

its included in a submission with a couple other error coins including a 1960 Franklin PR6X FBL with reverse hub doubling. same basis situation. just another proof too

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 3:52 PM, Kevine84 said:

It is a uniform and very mirror like surface  the reverse is easier to see

the Lincoln obverse is so high relief it picks up any color

617714912_20200513_1448501.thumb.jpg.35428207409996b67ad303cdb8547c1d.jpg1971459210_20200513_1448081.thumb.jpg.597b7d8c8e2a67bb23ff52d4bf42586b.jpg

Beautiful Coin

That's a very nice coin. The reverse looks deep and almost perfect. It's probably plated, the ears and hair and beard look filled in, particularly the ear. I wish I had it 'in hand', I'd take off running for the car, go home and study it a little closer.