• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1906 wheat penny
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the NGC price guide.  It has "retail" values of $20-$130 for a 1906 cent in grades of AU50-MS65.  "Almost perfect" means different things to different people, so you would have to get it graded/authenticated to expect ever getting close to retail prices.

This is a good topic for the Newbie forum.

Edited by BlakeEik

Welcome to the forum.

As condition is one of the main criterias for evaluating a coin, clear, cropped  pictures of both sides are required before anyone can give you an estimate of the value. As BlakeElk stated, "almost perfect condition" is not a grade, so we would have to see it for ourselves.  What looks almost perfect to you may not look like that to us.

1 hour ago, BlakeEik said:

Here is a link to the NGC price guide.  It has "retail" values of $20-$130 for a 1906 cent in grades of AU40-MS65.  "Almost perfect" means different things to different people, so you would have to get it graded/authenticated to expect ever getting close to retail prices.

This is a good topic of the Newbie forum.

Thank you so much for the response and patience. I have lots of old coins and never valued them. I would like to do so as well as buy more in the future so i am just trying to figure this out right now. To value a coin can i take pics and down load them or do i have to take it or send it to some one?

15 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum.

As condition is one of the main criterias for evaluating a coin, clear, cropped  pictures of both sides are required before anyone can give you an estimate of the value. As BlakeElk stated, "almost perfect condition" is not a grade, so we would have to see it for ourselves.  What looks almost perfect to you may not look like that to us.

Thank you so much for the reply and patience. I have several old coins i have never valued and would like to learn as well as purchase more in the future so i am here trying to learn. So do i have to take or send it to some one to value?

To value a coin can i take pics and down load them or do i have to take it or send it to some one?

Download your pictures here then more than one person can give an opinion which may vary as grading coins is an opinion.

12 minutes ago, TLaRoe said:

Thank you so much for the reply and patience. I have several old coins i have never valued and would like to learn as well as purchase more in the future so i am here trying to learn. So do i have to take or send it to some one to value?

You are welcome to post coins here and ask questions. To get maximum response:

• Take sharp obverse and reverse photos, cropping them well. If you do not know how to take good photos, learn how.
  • Make sure the thread title talks about the coin, and use one thread per coin.
  • Ask a question or questions. If you just post pics with no question, someone might respond: "Yep, it's a coin."
  • Be receptive to opinions. It's bad form to ask a question then argue with answers that dash your hopes.

If you follow the above, you'll find a number of people here eager to look at your coins and explain what's going on with them.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

You are welcome to post coins here and ask questions. To get maximum response:

• Take sharp obverse and reverse photos, cropping them well. If you do not know how to take good photos, learn how.
  • Make sure the thread title talks about the coin, and use one thread per coin.
  • Ask a question or questions. If you just post pics with no question, someone might respond: "Yep, it's a coin."
  • Be receptive to opinions. It's bad form to ask a question then argue with answers that dash your hopes.

If you follow the above, you'll find a number of people here eager to look at your coins and explain what's going on with them.

Thank you this is good input. I have very little knowledge so i cant and wont argue i just want accurate honest input to find out what i have and to learn how to do this. I am just on here for free right now. I like what i am seeing and have found so i will be getting a membership soon and learn hot to take pic and post.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Troy L. LaRoe

2 minutes ago, TLaRoe said:

Thank you this is good input. I have very little knowledge so i cant and wont argue i just want accurate honest input to find out what i have and to learn how to do this. I am just on here for free right now. I like what i am seeing and have found so i will be getting a membership soon and learn hot to take pic and post.

Please understand the variety of people and posts we deal with. Anything we can do to help people to let us help them, we try and do. I look forward to seeing your coins and helping to answer your questions, if I know the answers.

12 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Download your pictures here then more than one person can give an opinion which may vary as grading coins is an opinion.

Thank you i will be doing this soon. I am just learning so am green as they come right now. I am here as a free subscriber right now but like what i see and have found i will soon be upgrading and learning how to take pics and post on here. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Troy L. LaRoe

1 minute ago, JKK said:

Please understand the variety of people and posts we deal with. Anything we can do to help people to let us help them, we try and do. I look forward to seeing your coins and helping to answer your questions, if I know the answers.

Thank you so much it seems the folks here i have talked to so far are extremely nice and helpful. I look forward to learning more and participating in the site.

Sincerely,

Troy L. LaRoe

Welcome, lots of sharp people here that can help you with your questions.  Just a clarification point, Indian head cents are not wheat cents, Indian head cents have a portrait of Liberty wearing an American Indian headdress on the obv with an oak wreath on the rev.  Wheat cents (or wheatbacks and wheaties as they are sometimes called) were produced after the Indian cent and feature the portrait of Lincoln on the obv with two curved wheat stalks on the rev.

12 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome, lots of sharp people here that can help you with your questions.  Just a clarification point, Indian head cents are not wheat cents, Indian head cents have a portrait of Liberty wearing an American Indian headdress on the obv with an oak wreath on the rev.  Wheat cents (or wheatbacks and wheaties as they are sometimes called) were produced after the Indian cent and feature the portrait of Lincoln on the obv with two curved wheat stalks on the rev.

12 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Thank you for the input i just learned something. 

Sincerely,

1 hour ago, TLaRoe said:

I have very little knowledge so i cant and wont argue

You would be surprised at the number of people with very little knowledge that WILL argue.

One thing to add to JKK's picture information, make sure you post the pictures oriented right side up.  It can be very frustrating trying to figure things out on images posted sideways or upside down