• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957-D Nickel

6 posts in this topic

I have a few OBW rolls of nickels and have found a couple of nice ones. I was wondering if this had any chance of grading full step.

1957-O.jpg

1957-R.jpg

1957-Closeup (2).jpg

Edited by rcjes

I'm not seeing FS either, sorry to say. As you probably know, most nickels of the era were never FS at minting; it took a sharp or better strike for that detail ever to have been present. Then it had to survive the logistics of release without getting any dings across the steps, which are a high point. That winnowed the field a lot.

Ok, Thanks guys. I have a few other 50's 60's and 70's that were graded by ANACS and NGC as full step, and some do not appear to have as full of steps as this.

Very difficult to judge from your photos as there is a lot of glare on the original two pics.  But I've taken your photos and highlighted a couple of areas that from the pics should disqualify this coin from a FS designation.  I have circled the two spots in red, the steps under the second column look to be blended and the hit under the third column cuts across two or three steps.  One or both of these issues should preclude a FS; however; photos can be deceiving due to angle and light bounce.  As you have the coin in hand only you can decide if those two areas are as they appear in the photos.

Also grades and designations (like FS) are opinions; opinions that can and do change from grading company to grading company and in many cases from day to day.  So just because one company calls a coin FS doesn't guarantee that another TPG will agree, or even that the same company will give the same grade and designation if submitted at a different time. 

1957-R.jpg

1957-R2.jpg

4 hours ago, rcjes said:

I have a few other 50's 60's and 70's that were graded by ANACS and NGC as full step, and some do not appear to have as full of steps as this.

You see a lot of slabbed FS nickels that don't deserve the FS designation.