• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 Lincoln Wheat Cent damage
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Went through my mom’s old coin collection that was full of wheats. This one obviously stood out like a sore thumb. By now I feel I have a fairly good understanding in distinguishing between PMD and Mint errors and DDD. However, I’m a bit stumped on this one. At first glance I was sure it was PMD. However, after looking at both sides of this cent I came to a “semi” conclusion that the “dents” are rather consistent in being in the same location on both the obverse and reverse. It also appears that if you were to draw a line from say 11 o’clock and down to 5 o’clock on the face of the coin the lines would “connect”. This looks to be true on many of the dents around the rim of the coin. I remember reading somewhere about this type of damage that could be caused by some sort of possible die deterioration. Just looking for some input and I won’t be disappointed if the jury is unanimous in calling this PMD. Thanks. 

97EF5F2F-8845-4EDE-B15E-89CE3DC54684.png

I'm glad you won't be disappointed. The coin is damaged. Whatever clamped onto it, clamped onto both sides.

I was thinking PMD for sure myself but now I'm not so sure... Is there no way at all to connect them to the minting process?? Here's a pic of one I came across a while back. Ive inspected thousands of wheat cents and I believe I've found 3 or 4 of these. The pics shared are only of the latest cent

20210224_040907.jpg

20210224_040828.jpg