• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indian Head/Buffalo Nickels

8 posts in this topic

You're right about the date on the first one, which has post-mint damage. The second is in nicer shape, embedded in something for purposes and reasoning unknown. Neither is silver, just so you know.

48 minutes ago, Happycolors said:

I just read that there are silver nickels and they have a P on the back.  Is that correct?

Yes and sometimes. Yes, there are 35% silver nickels from the war years, easily distinguished by a universal and abnormally large mint mark above Monticello. Those marks are P, D, and S, so yes, some of them have a P. Until about forty years ago, nearly no Philadelphia mint coins had a P mint mark; no MM meant Philly, and a MM meant a branch mint. The war nickels minted at Philly were that rare, brief exception. And yes, your nickel is one of those, so it's worth melt at least (probably about 80-85c).

At first I was thinking belt buckle for the 1937 but it's mounted wrong. It strikes me as too big to be a decorative stud for a belt...maybe for a boot, leather vest, or saddlebags? Leave it in the mounting; removing it will likely impair it further and it's a decent looking coin!

Looking forward to your pictures.

Please make sure you have a separate post for each coin. it is confusing when you have more than one coin on a post.

Even the two you have on this post you are getting answers for each coin crisscrossing one another.