• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 no mint copper

6 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

This "no mint" stuff again. It's really gotten to be a pet peeve of mine. Where does it come from?

It's noviceness. From people not understanding that the U.S. Mint is in Philadelphia, and that there have been branch mints over the years (and still are). They don't know what descriptor to use, and they mean 'no mint mark' but do not realize that this means Philadelphia. They do not realize that all they have to do is state the year, and if they do not append a MM, origin at the U.S. Mint is assumed.

24 minutes ago, JKK said:

It's noviceness. From people not understanding that the U.S. Mint is in Philadelphia, and that there have been branch mints over the years (and still are). They don't know what descriptor to use, and they mean 'no mint mark' but do not realize that this means Philadelphia. They do not realize that all they have to do is state the year, and if they do not append a MM, origin at the U.S. Mint is assumed.

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

This "no mint" stuff again. It's really gotten to be a pet peeve of mine. Where does it come from?

I was merely asking. No need in all this mess. Didnt you mother ever teach if you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all? Thanks for the encouraging words. 

2 hours ago, Tridmn said:

I was merely asking. No need in all this mess. Didnt you mother ever teach if you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all? Thanks for the encouraging words. 

Sorry. A more appropriate response would have been https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/lincoln-cents-wheat-reverse-1909-1958-pscid-99/1944-1c-msbn-coinid-12720. It's cool that you found a 1944 cent still circulating. Unfortunately, Philadelphia made 1.4 billion of them.