• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Moroccan Cast Money Tree
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Fascinating - thankyou.

On reading this the strips of Charles I farthing tokens came to mind - although their production method is different. For an example see:-

https://www.colincooke.com/coin_pages/charlesi.html

2 hours ago, ColonialCoinsUK said:

Fascinating - thankyou.

On reading this the strips of Charles I farthing tokens came to mind - although their production method is different. For an example see:-

https://www.colincooke.com/coin_pages/charlesi.html

So those would be punched on a strip, and then the strip was cut to make the individual pieces, right? The pieces would be square? Interesting. 

I think Russian "wire money" would be something similar, not sure if there are "uncut" strips of that. 

The farthings were struck using a roller press.  The dies were two cylinders with 4 or more "striking dies" on each.  The strip would be run between the rollers receiving the images on each side.  Initially they would be cut square, but then they would be clipped down to a nearly round shape.

As for the wire money I have to admit I don't know if the "wire" was cut to weight before striking, of if they struck several pieces on the wire and then cut them apart.

Extremely good post with lots of fine basic information.

I have one question, however -- are Money Tree seeds available? Or, do they grow from plugs like Zoysia grass, or maybe rhizomes like Iris ?

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Extremely good post with lots of fine basic information.

I have one question, however -- are Money Tree seeds available? Or, do they grow from plugs like Zoysia grass, or maybe rhizomes like Iris ?

Absolutely, yes, they grow from seeds called "nuggets." Luckily, these seeds are plentiful in Morocco. As you can see below, in their native form they almost resemble trees already. It just takes a bit of nurturing to grow them into fully formed coin trees: 

Copper-21991.jpg

Copper-Silver-39566.jpg

11 hours ago, RWB said:

Nice native copper !

Wast that "nugget" or "nougat?"

Unfortunately they aren't mine, those are just from Wikipedia. 

I'm not sure how much gardening you do, but if you try to grow nougat, it grows into a snickers tree. You have to be very careful with the watering, however.

10 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I'm not sure how much gardening you do, but if you try to grow nougat, it grows into a snickers tree. You have to be very careful with the watering, however.

They are nice trees. They grow best in former peanut fields. The difficulty is their fruit can also contain the unseen "Diabetes mellitus secondii" toxin. Then it becomes a reverse money tree.

:)

Edited by RWB

Well, well, well - the story gets a little more interesting!

I was doing a bit of reading about the Detroit Money Museum, and its founder Nathan Shapero.

I stumbled upon a token the museum issued, and knew instantly that I needed to own it as a companion piece. On the reverse is a fairly generic name and title - but the obverse! The obverse shows a money tree! The money tree shown here is of the Japanese variety, but I thought that it was absolutely brilliant that the place that used to own my money tree issued a token with a money tree. Coincidentally, there just happened to be an Ebay auction with one of these tokens. I won the auction just moments ago, and normally I'd wait to take my own pictures but I was so excited to show you this cool little piece.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

(Good thing my Time Capsule was in tickety-boo working order. I missed this post on the first go-round... Some off-the-cuff observations..The date is 1287. (The crop circle, a mere ghostly shadow, don't count.) Pedigree vs. Progeny. Trees with bountiful harvests. Not a single mention of the "coin's" most striking aspect: that giant, white elephant 🐘 Star of David occupying the entire reverse. How come? Morocco  🇲🇦 Casablanca... What's the sto-ry, Jer-ry?  Enquiring minds, including a roostermeister, want to know.)