• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damage-When is enough enough ? 1932-S 25c
2 2

12 posts in this topic

While doing my nightly search I came across 1932-S it's of course in worn shape but with the 32s it's somewhat acceptable but as noted in images at what point , even a hard to find coin, does damage cancel out out everything ?
It looks like someone took a pair of wire snips to the coin...sad.

1932.25C.01.JPG

1932.25C.02.JPG

Damage doesn't cancel out anything; it just makes the coin less desirable. The way grading services reckon it, which makes sense to me, is that it's a property of the coin. For example, that one I'd call VG details, damaged. I am not sure how they decide at what point a nick is so large it counts as damage, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that damage is something clearly uncharacteristic of normal wear. So on your quarter, that pinch cutting into the eagle's wing, that's pretty obvious. But the smaller pinch just affecting the rim? Might not rise to the level of damage. Or it might. One bears in mind that on my screen, this coin is the diameter of a softball. In hand, it's not, and that small one might not be very noteworthy. It would screw up a very high grade, but as we know, a high grade isn't in play for this one.

53 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

From what we see here each and every day the more damage and road rash the more valuable it is.

Word. I'm waiting for one to come in with a nasty bullet hole through the middle. "hi im nu 2 coinzz wondring how the mint stamped this sackajawea like this and how much can i get 4 it"

21 minutes ago, JKK said:

Word. I'm waiting for one to come in with a nasty bullet hole through the middle. "hi im nu 2 coinzz wondring how the mint stamped this sackajawea like this and how much can i get 4 it"

Sir, you are trampling on my dreams of grandeur and future fortune. 
I happen to have in my possession gold doubloon...that was purchased 52 years ago on the east coast, they had a whole basket of them in the shop so they must be real.
A 1966 25C piece that some how made it through the Mint with a 22 cal indentation in it, some reason my left eye hurts and a whizzing noise comes to mind.
...and last but not least a 19** nickel that also somehow was compressed by a 200 ton locomotive while going through the Mint.
I find it disheartening that you are so willing to trample upon my dreams .
A cookie will suffice. Thanks.
...I think I hijacked my own thread hm  The author of this does not condone the destruction of U.S. currency regardless how young they were when this may or may not have happened.
Have a nice Day !
Ed G

Untold.Treasures01[1].jpg

Value is largely determined by demand. If enough people start demanding damaged coins, despite all valuable advice to the contrary, then they will become more valuable. (And people with half a brain will TOTALLY be left scratching their heads.)

6 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

While doing my nightly search I came across 1932-S it's of course in worn shape but with the 32s it's somewhat acceptable but as noted in images at what point , even a hard to find coin, does damage cancel out out everything ?
It looks like someone took a pair of wire snips to the coin...sad.

1932.25C.01.JPG

1932.25C.02.JPG

It looks to be in a 2 x 2, so I am assuming it is for sale on the web. Did the seller mention the damage, and is the discount from the normal price commensurate with the amount of damage? And, most importantly: did I use "commensurate" correctly?

it's a auction and the image does clearly show damage and his auction house is about 30 miles from me so if I did follow through with it I could pick up up the next day, none of that nasty waiting but mask is required....and no need to commensurate, which would of fit the bill nicely btw.

1 hour ago, EdG_Ohio said:

it's a auction and the image does clearly show damage and his auction house is about 30 miles from me so if I did follow through with it I could pick up up the next day, none of that nasty waiting but mask is required....and no need to commensurate, which would of fit the bill nicely btw.

Just don't commenstruate. People would probably draw the wrong conclusions.

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Hold my beer!

Btw, did you really say Reckon AND Word?